Garden wall piers (edited)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Half brick garden wall, 2m high, 6m length. Pillars how often, and how deep? Thanks

Edited to say, same question for a 9" thick one brick wall, because on balance half brick is too narrow

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Off the top of my head - so subject to confirmation - if I recall correctly, no panel (for a half brick wall) should be longer than 1800mm.

Personally, I would be careful of a half brick wall that high. My advice would be to set a threaded bar into the base of the piers > build around it > and two or three courses from the top bolt down a galv steel plate > then top it off. Foundation needs to be in stable ground - so at least 750mm.

Off the top of my head - so subject to confirmation - if I recall correctly, no panel (for a half brick wall) should be longer than 1800mm.

Personally, I would be careful of a half brick wall that high. My advice would be to set a threaded bar into the base of the piers > build around it > and two or three courses from the top bolt down a galv steel plate > then top it off. Foundation needs to be in stable ground - so at least 750mm.
Yes you're rights, thanks, and after a bit more reading I'd be daft to do this as a half brick wall, Needs to be a full brick thickness (or possibly, given the supplies I have, reclaimed brick tied to blockwork behind it, where it won't be seen because it backs onto next door's garage). I've edited my original question - how many piers for a 2m high 9" wall? Every 2m? And how deep should the piers be?

Yes you're rights, thanks, and after a bit more reading I'd be daft to do this as a half brick wall, Needs to be a full brick thickness (or possibly, given the supplies I have, reclaimed brick tied to blockwork behind it, where it won't be seen because it backs onto next door's garage). I've edited my original question - how many piers for a 2m high 9" wall? Every 2m? And how deep should the piers be?
This wall...

...is 1.8m tall and 3.8m between 450mm x 450m pillars.

Sponsored Links
About 2m is right, but for elegance, measure the length and space them equally. You will need one at each end, and at each side of openings such as gateways.

The engineering bricks in the pics are a quality feature, and will resist damp and frost damage.

OK. So the pillars are the same each side of the wall, so 18" deep? What is the role of the wooden posts in one of the pictures? Thanks

Oh, they're in the pic Great Wall 9 in that gallery, but I think that's the lower wall

Oh, they're in the pic Great Wall 9 in that gallery, but I think that's the lower wall
Oh Right. Thought you were referring to the ones I'd posted, sorry. You mean this section...

...part of the wall had to be timber fence (planning) So I had some cranked steel posts made, which went down to the foundation concrete and were fixed to the foundation concrete. They also had a fixing in the wall. I then fixed arris rails and boards.

It cost about £26K to build. Heck of a job.

Very useful pics, thanks. I have just about enough reclaimed bricks left over from other projects for a half brick wall. The back side won't be seen, so to save cost I'm now planning to add a skin of 7N blocks behind the bricks, and tie both leaves together. 450mm Pier at each end and in the middle, which will be block on the back side and brick and the front. Sound fair? This may sound fiddly, but I'm trying to use up the materials I have, not just to save money but to clear the space, so what currently looks like a builder's yard can become a reasonably attractive sitting area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back