Garden wall question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be getting the wall started on Monday it is a single block wall, it is a dividing wall between me and next door neighbour, their garden is approx 18 inches higher than our garden, so what i want to know is when the wall is finished and plastered both sides and the soil is replaced behind the wall will i need to put something on the wall to stop the dampness from the soil penetrating through the wall, the wall will eventually be painted.

Sponsored Links
no its a garden wall, it will get damp from teh elements anyway

Will the soil behind it which will be wet a lot of the time not cause the paint to have damp stains on it and eventually cause the paint to peel of the wall

It won't be as bad as you expect as water will not come through so badly if its rendered as there will be waterproofer in the scratch coat.

Water will of course seep up and the base of the wall will be damp but it will cycle dry wet enough to not cause decent masonary paint too many problems.

Sponsored Links
Would be an idea to put small weep holes in low down. or going for double thickness brickwork until you are clear of the higher ground.

what's with the blocks on side every so often?
is that to tie the sides of the wall together or to tie it to the piers maybe?

Looks good. Out of interest, how did you manage to deal with matching the house dpc with the wall?. Also, how did you join the wall to the house?

coljack the blocks on their sides are like that to tie into the three piers,

JMLanders no dpc as the wall is tied into a shed, it was tied into the shed with a metal support which was bolted to the shed wall and small metal ties sit on top of the blocks the whole way up the wall.

JMLanders no dpc as the wall is tied into a shed, it was tied into the shed with a metal support which was bolted to the shed wall and small metal ties sit on top of the blocks the whole way up the wall.
Okey dokey - looked like it might have been the side of a house. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back