Garden wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am running cable for an external socket & lights, with feed from ground floor ring. Is it best practice to fit to replace ring MCB with RCBO at consumer unit, or to fit local RCD on spur from ring ?
Thanks,

Mogster

Sponsored Links
I take it there is no RCD protection currently afforded to the ring final.

In this case its likely your CU is too old to accept RCBOs. Can you take a picture of it and upload to photobucket?

Thanks for your reply Steve - & apologies for delay in getting back to you.

Correct - there is no RCD protection to ring (or any of the property).
My camera is on the blink, but CU is a DETA & looks fairly old - how can I tell if it will accept an RCBO - is it just physical space ?

Cheers

An alternative method would be to run the outdoor socket on a fused spur. You can get these with a 30mA RCD incorporated.

Sponsored Links
Factor in rcbo availability is simply if they make them or not :) , generally most of the bigger switchgear brands do them. Finding any protective device for an old model though is usually a difficult task and ebay needs to be used.

The protective device needs to match the cu, because while the din rail is standard, the busbar isn't, and while sometimes another brand will fit, its very hit and miss and to be avoided whereever possible

You won't find any RCBO for a CU that doesn't use DIN rails (such as old wylex standard boards)

In your case, I haven't heard of DETA, possible it should be a wholesalers own brand?

Wilkinson is the only place I know that used to sell DETA stuff, but I can't imagine them stocking RCBOs.

might be a rebadged unit by another maker.

Some pictures would be a great help.

I believe GET make a lot of cheap stuff for other brands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back