Gargage walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new sectional garage built a couple of years ago with a pitched roof. Last winter when it was really cold the contents were covered in condensation and the walls were really cold.
Before this winter i was wanting to put something against the walls to stop the cold comming through but don't want to lose width in the garage so don't want several layers.
I was thinking of fixing batons to the walls then putting chipboard flooring but have read this absorbs moisture? would MDF be better?
I could slot some insulation panels behind the boards in the wall recesses?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Robby71,
Whatever you do, don't use MDF to line the walls. It will absorb the moisture like a sponge. Not sure what the best thing would be to use, I'm sure other members will be along shortly to advise.

Wac

You will have to lose a little bit of the width to do it properly.

Battons on the wall.

Insulation inbetween the battons which is foil coated and tape the seams. This will act as your vapour barrier.

Then plasterboard on the battons

It's also been suggested to myself in the past to have an additional continuous layer of insulation across the timbers or insulated plasterboard. This is to stop there being any chance of getting pattern staining on the plaster or decorations in line with the timber battens. It's to do with the timber being on a cold wall.

Also is there enough insulation in the roof?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back