Plaster-boarding and decorating over brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage which is has single brick walls, and hence the walls can get very cold during winter. I want to just decorate it slightly by tiling the floor and plaster-boarding the walls. If I just put plasterboard on top, i'm sure there will be moisture and condensation issues and plasterboard and paint on plasterboard will probably flake off. So I am wondering is the solution to use plasterboard that has Polystyrene foam backing? will this be sufficient to prevent plasterboard from getting damp and causing paint issues?

If so how do you attach the Polystyrene backed plasterboard to the wall?

Sponsored Links
Do you still have a garage door? They let plenty of air in and heat out unless you insulate that too.

I'm assuming you are just trying to improve it a bit, rather than convert it to a habitable room? In which case 50mm celotex (PL4050) backed plaster board will make a big difference and also has a moisture foil

4375af_fdd8fba7deac44fc8e2d8d25d85b6b44.jpg

If its a working garage, I'd be tempted to double skin the plasterboard for extra fire safety.

Do you still have a garage door? They let plenty of air in and heat out unless you insulate that too.

I'm assuming you are just trying to improve it a bit, rather than convert it to a habitable room? In which case 50mm celotex (PL4050) backed plaster board will make a big difference and also has a moisture foil

Yes i have a double glazed composite door. I dont use the garage for working, it wont be a room that will be used to live in but want to decorate it so we can use it if needed. How do the 50mm celotex boards attach to the brickwork? I have some spare material that I want to use up on one or 2 walls too. I have some 50mm Polystyrene sheets and a mixture of some OSB ply and some WBP plywood available which i'm want to try and use up rather than disposing. Can I attach the 50mm Polystyrene sheets on the brick work then the plywood and on top of the ply just glue plasterboard right onto it?

Sponsored Links
The conversion of a garage, or part of a garage, into habitable space will normally require approval under the Building Regulations. In which case you'll need a lot more insulation.

So you really face the dilemma of doing it properly or just making it a bit better.

The boards can be dob n dabbed on, frame fixed etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back