Gas Boiler flue under covered walkway!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DITnot,
I was wondering if any of you experts could advise on an issue I have with my combi-boiler.

It was highlighted to me by British Gas that my current boiler is on it's last legs and will need to be replaced.

I agreed to a site visit for an estimate for a replacement boiler.

To my shock, he informed me that the flue from the existing boiler is in an unsafe location. My boiler is in the kitchen next to the external wall and the flue exits out to under an arch (covered walkway) where other flats are located above.

The engineer has recommended that I relocate the new boiler in the living room where the flue can exit to an open area not below the arch.

Spoke to some plumbing engineers online who have stated that I may be able to extend the flue out to the open area (boxed in).

I have contacted GasSafeRegister and they seem to confirm what BG have stated (since 2000 "a flue MUST not flue into a covered passageway"). They also state that the extending of the flue is do-able but will not reduce the cost that much because it limits the type of boiler (more expensive) to use plus the flue must be boxed in and be accessible.

Just really after any input to see if I have missed something or alternatives as a boiler in the living room is not an option I really want to consider.

Thank you
Peter :(

Sponsored Links
Do you have any external walls that aren't in the living room?

NB: I am not an RGI

Hi mogget,
Yes, as well as the Lounge, I have the main and spare bedroom that face out to an uncovered external wall but that's going to mean more pipe work from the existing location of the boiler in the kitchen!

Beginning to think I am running out of options here!

Peter

The spare bedroom is a possibility (no need for the boiler to fire up overnight).

I suspect that extending the pipework may be less expensive than extending the flue. I'm also guessing that your kitchen has no external wall?

Is this a combi boiler or do you have a hot water cylinder?

It may be that your existing boiler can be repaired - possibly some of the 'gas people' here could advise?

More information on the boiler and its faults would be useful.

Sponsored Links
Please do not let british gas sell you a boiler you may not need, if you are having problems with you boiler and the parts are no longer available maybe you should think about replacing it at some point, if they are still available and you are covered under their coverplan then you can just keep calling them out. With regards to the flue, just because the flue doesn't meet current regulations does not mean it is unsafe, if it was that bad they would have to cap off the supply to your boiler and you would not be able to use it till the flueing issues had been resolved.

As for relocating a new boiler this link http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/in...ems/greenstar-30cdi/flue-terminal-positioning will show you some of the current flueing regulations however different manufacturers have different dimension so you would need to check with the manufacturer of the boiler you are thinking of fitting, but it will give you an idea to select a new location.

You can use flue extensions to direct flues to different locations and it does add to the cost, you would be best getting a couple of local installers to quote and let them advise you on the best options, usually sh**ish gas are usually about twice the price of a local installer in my experience but its your choice.

Hi Mogget,
The kitchen has the external wall under the covered walkway, hence the move to a new location.

It's a combi boiler so if the heatings left on over night then it will kick in regularly, not a good nights sleep for the bedroom occupant!

The problem has been ongoing for a few years (about 3), the boiler wouldn't kick in the hot water for the shower. I've had BG out a few times and each time they say that the pipes are getting clogged up. They say a flush may help but for the cost I should consider a new boiler (but that was pre the shift which has sent the costs through the roof).

They have said that I can continue to call them out for as long as they have the parts!?!?

(It's an Ocean FF boiler, I think!) I'm at work will confirm tonight.
Peter

Hi Leeds plumber,
I was thinking that I will continue with the old boiler for a while until the parts dry up but don't want to leave myself in the lurch if this happens mid winter.

Regarding the flue, a agree with you but according to GasSafeReg, when a new boiler is required, it must be moved!

Thanks for the link and info. I think that's the way to proceed. See what other installers say and the costs involved.

Thanks again.
Peter

It's a combi boiler so if the heatings left on over night then it will kick in regularly, not a good nights sleep for the bedroom occupant!

I can't help but wonder why the heating needs to be on at night if everyone's in bed - doubtless there is a reason though.

The problem has been ongoing for a few years (about 3), the boiler wouldn't kick in the hot water for the shower.

I can't advise with any authority, but I suspect someone who knows what they are doing could fix this quite easily.

Ideally British Gas should have fixed the problem and highlighted a long time ago that the flue is unsafe. Depending on the circumstances its quite possible it will be classed as At Risk.
Your fault is more than likely repairable, but to be honest these boilers are junk and its probably worth getting replaced. Once you've done that, you can dump the costly BG homecare and save some money.
What you need to do is source a good quality local engineer with a good knowledge of different boilers and flueing options. More than likely there is a solution to suit you and the regulations. The main problem with BG salesmen is that they're knowledge is restricted to the products they get cheap from the manufacturers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back