Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas boiler keeps coming on even if the timer is set for it to be off, I have fitted a new timer, but still it keeps occasionally firing up when it should be off, any help appreciated please!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Pen pusher, is it a job I could do myself, where is the microswitch located, my boiler is a Glow Worm Hideaway?Final question, any suggestions where to buy a microswitch?

check zone valves by the little lever on the end if it is loose when no power present it is broke! you need to replace the whole valve not just the microswitch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kevindgas
I know this might seem very basic to someone who knows what they are talking about but......

Where will I find the zone valves on the boiler and where will the little lever be, apologies for not being too technical, but thanks.

try your airing cupboard - silver or grey box with a pipe underneath, usually just after the pump. not in there? try looking dowwn the back of the boiler some fitters like to hide them! doubt it will be in the boiler itself though

when you find the zone valve you will see the lever.

it will be on a pipe somewhere.

where depends on where who ever installed it put it :cry:

Thank You both,

I think I have located the valves, there are 2 in my airing cupboard, they say they are Lifestyle 2 port motorised valves, are these the right ones?, they both have a lever on the top, and both are quite loose and wobbly with no power going to them, looks like replacing them is a job for a proffessional to me.

yes they are the valves
acl come on two types the old fixed body and the newer removable head type

both have A (closed) and B (open) the lever will wobble but if you push it over to the open position it should wind back on its own (so long as it doesn't lock open in the manual position)

the older 1s need the whole unit replacing (drain or isolate water first)
the newer ones detach by pressing the button on other side to A/B indicator you can then free up the valve body with an adjustable spanner and just put in a new motor head

ACL or Drayton valves are available from most plumbers merchants and come in a red box

Thank You,
I managed to take the cover off one of them, not in the easiest of positions to get at, it had tabs on each side and a screw at the bottom which I had to loosen, the cover then came off ok, which bit can I remove it all looks quite compact under the cover, I see there are 4 screws keeping what looks like a plate with possibly a motor on it, but also there are wires which look like they are attached to something behind the plate I can remove, if I buy new valves would I just need to use the part from the new valve to replace the part I am unscrewing? any idea how much each valve would be??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back