Gas central heating and hot water won't work on the timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas powerd central heating and hot water system. It is not a combi boiler, but a seperate heating system and hot water tank. It is all controled from one point, where I can set a programme for the ho water and a programme for the heating didgitally. This contole point was only replaced last year, but the boiler itself is arround 9 years old. Util the beginning of the summer it all worked perfectly. We turned it off through the summer and now when trying to use it again, find it's not right! Neither will turn on when they are set to, the control panel says they are on, i.e the light is on, but the boiler does not fire up. When trying to 'boost' either system this does not work properly either. The only way I can get the boiler to fire up is by boosting one, say the heating, and going through the cycles with the other. I.e I want the heating on for an hour so, I set the heating system to 'boost' then with the hot water button move the hot water from timed to boost, to advance, to constant, to off, when the boiler will then fire up! This is the same for both hot water and central heating.
Any ideas as to what may be wrong? If you need any more info, I will do my best!

Sponsored Links
put a photo of control/clock/programmer on here,some are more dificiult to set up,many are imports and many in uk can easily programe them...

Sponsored Links
Right, thanks! I will have a look for one of those! How do I know if my pump is running? The heating won't come on from the timer either though, could this still be a fault from the hot water?
Thanks a lot for your help! I'll let you know about that thingy!

Hi, this is what I have in my airing cupboard in regards to piping etc!
Thank you for your help

you can check if the pump is running by:-
1, pull off the black plastic cap
2, using a spanner, loosen the silver hex nut and pull it outwards(little water will come out) and engage the motor shaft.
3, turn the system on and the nut should rotate if the pump is running.
4, do it all up again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back