Gas Cooker Hose

Balenza, please explain your better practise.

I have plumbed in USA, Canada, Germany ad OZ.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Soggy_weetabix said:
Balenza, please explain your better practise.

I have plumbed in USA, Canada, Germany ad OZ.

Dave

I dont need too. :rolleyes:

I am new to this forum just thought I might have got some help, but as is common with these forums you post a simple question and it gets hijacked by simple people.

The only thing I will not touch in my house is gas it goes BANG and then no more house thats why I posted the original thread, I only wanted to know if it could be done legaly and if so how and what to use.

a simple "YES or NO" would have done

Didn't expect my thread to be hijacked and turn into a mud chucking session but what can you do boys will be boys.

To all the fellas that posted help cheers, to the rest of you I will send cots and teddies

Will get a CORGI to do it and test
Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links
Point of accuracy Gas4You ... DIY'ers CAN do gas if they're competant and they must notify building control if they do so but have no obligation to inform Corgi ... Nor would Corgi be interested if they did.

The simple answer is NO
Only Corgi installer can as you are disturbing gas fittings on what is or what will be a live gas installation and needs testing properly.

esra_ptrap said:
Point of accuracy Gas4You ... DIY'ers CAN do gas if they're competant and they must notify building control if they do so but have no obligation to inform Corgi ... Nor would Corgi be interested if they did.

But how do they prove they are competent? I know anyone can do anything in their own home, but this would then invalidate their house insurance if, god forbid, something untoward happened. Then another grey area is when or if they sell their property, they have then done gas work for the new buyer and not diy?

Incorrect ... Anyone who is competant can. This has been discussed many times on this forum and I expect will be again.

Professionals MUST be Corgi registered, DIY'ers who are competant can do gas legally provided they notify LABC and have the installation certified.

20millibar to me will never be a pressure test.
I dont care how many regulatory bodies their are governing your working practises or whatever legislations or rules that say otherwise.

Their house insurance would be equally invalid should anything untoward happen following a Corgi RGI fit.

I agree that the testing approved by Corgi on low pressure installations could be significantly better. Air pressure test to (say) 3 bar followed by standing leak and pressure test would be extremely easy to achieve and far safer ... Ho hum :LOL:

Then another grey area is when or if they sell their property, they have then done gas work for the new buyer and not diy?

I missed this ... A joke presumably :LOL:

esra_ptrap said:
Their house insurance would be equally invalid should anything untoward happen following a Corgi RGI fit.

I fully agree, but thats why WE have to have a minimum of £2,000,000 public liability insurance and preferably professional indemnity as well ;)

sanj.varah wrote:
the guy that installed our cooker used ptfe? although it was a bit thicker and he used some white jointing type compound.

not supposed to use both on same fitting.

Why not ?

True, still better to make sure nothing untoward happens though and that still comes down to competency ... I've met many extremely competent DIY'ers and some quite incompetent RGI's (IMO) ... And, of course, vice-versa.

The key thing is to ensure the installation is safe which is why DIY'ers can use LABC.

Some would argue that any self-certified work, be it gas or electrics under Part P is inherently less safe than independent checking of a competent DIY'ers work by LABC ... Others would argue the opposite of course ... Such is the diverse World we live in :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back