Gas cooker plug and socket

s85

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my kitchen redone and the kitchen rewired with a new 6mm cable installed for an electric cooker.
However I have changed my mind and now will be installing an all gas cooker instead of an electric cooker.

The gas cooker comes with a plug for the hob lighter and oven light, however there is no dedicated socket for for me to plug this socket into behind the cooker.

My electrician wants to run a 2.5mm cable from the 6mm cooker outlet plate to supply a single socket for the cooker plug.

Is this ok to do or not?

or would it be better to run then supply from the kitchen ring circuit (above the worktops).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its currently on a 32A RCBO. What should this be changed to if anything?

Ok Thanks. Can the cooker outlet plate just be replaced with a single plug socket? So the 6mm cable goes to a single socket?

Or is it better to run a 2.5mm cable from the outlet plate to a new socket next to it?

Ok - so best practice would be just to replace the outlet plate with a single socket.

Ideally I would like it be done as correctly as possible. So if you could suggest a better (the most correct) way, I can suggest this to my electrician.

Ideally I would like it be done as correctly as possible. So if you could suggest a better (the most correct) way, I can suggest this to my electrician.

Replace the outlet with a socket, and leave the 32amp MCB as is.

He could install the 2.5mm, and if protected by a 32amp MCB then it would be no different to a spur from a ring circuit, which would be normally protected by a 32amp MCB. 32amp is unnecessary, so no reason not to change it for a 20amp, though I would not be critical of it being left as a 32amp.

As said it does not need changing, there is a fuse in the plug, in fact better not to change, as may want electric in the future.

I am interested to know why with modern induction hobs and multi element fan ovens you want the old fashion gas cooker? I can see to use a wok you need a gas hob, but can't see any other advantage.

Loads of disadvantages like needing a hood vented to outside, hotter kitchen in the summer, not as efficient although cheaper gas make up for that, and not as controllable, and the hob is slower, so why go for gas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back