Gas Cooker Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

She has decided to swap from a cooker with an electric oven and gas hob, over to an all electric cooker with ceramic halogen type hob.

Im told im allowed, so I have simply disconnected the gas cooker from the 'bayonet' fitting and removed the gas appliance.

The new electric cooker is now ready to be installed,

My question - is the wall mounted remaing part of the bayonet fitting a reliable blank for the now disuded gas supply.

As this remaining gas pipework is obviously behind a potentially hot appliance.

Have tried to phone local Gas Engineers who all refuse to either answer a phone, return calls, or discuss it without a visit and call out fee !

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can disconnect as you have done.

There is a simple way to blank the bayonet fitting off.
You can't legally carry out "Work" on the pipework, nor I doubt will you have the equipment to test that you have left is safe.

If you really want it capping off you will have to pay someone who is Gas Safe registered.

Afaik, you dont actually need to do anything here unless you suspect gas is leaking from the bayonet fitting.
Bayonets are self sealing isolation points.

As far as not giving you information about what is required over the phone, I can understand their reluctance.
It costs a lot of money to maintain a gas certification, and continue to be registered under whichever authority is currently empowered to oversea gas fitters. Currently this is Gas Safe.

Most solicitors don't give advice for free, this situation is no different in the minds of many Registered gas fitters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back