Gas Duct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to put in duct for main gas supply [75 metres] understand it needs to be 100mm yellow perforated land drain type, I am struggling to find this, plenty of white or black but no yellow HELP please

Sponsored Links
confused 2 said:
Need to put in duct for main gas supply [75 metres] understand it needs to be 100mm yellow perforated land drain type,

Look for a Polypipe stockist.

They make Tons of the stuff.

I am sure that ARGI can advise its members where to get it

I thought that yellow plastic gas pipe could be burried directly in the ground as long as there was a black/yellow warning tape 100 below the surface???

Look it up and tell us John!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I am sure that ARGI can advise its members where to get it

I thought that yellow plastic gas pipe could be burried directly in the ground as long as there was a black/yellow warning tape 100 below the surface???

Look it up and tell us John!

Tony Glazier

Don't need to Tony.

Yellow pipe can be layed into the ground or ducted for installation at a later date.

Transco will supply the length of pipe (at a cost)

I am looking for ducting as I understood that I was not allowed to install the actual Gas supply pipe myself. If I am allowed that is perfect it will also save me the cost of ducting can anyone else confirm that I can install myself??

confused 2 said:
I am looking for ducting as I understood that I was not allowed to install the actual Gas supply pipe myself. If I am allowed that is perfect it will also save me the cost of ducting can anyone else confirm that I can install myself??

If you have the qualifications yes you can install the pipe.

But as you don't then contact whoever is going to install it and ask if you can dig the hole 500mm ish, sand on the bottom, get them to inspect it, cover pipe with sand, rollout marker tape and leave the ends for the supplier to connect the ends.

doitall thanks for your replies, I want to dig a general service trench ie gas water and electric, I need to dig it, put in duct or pipe and refill same day if possible so as not to obstruct access by others, who do I need that is qualified or what qualifications do they need to have to ok the gas pipe. Thanks

confused 2 said:
doitall thanks for your replies, I want to dig a general service trench ie gas water and electric, I need to dig it, put in duct or pipe and refill same day if possible so as not to obstruct access by others, who do I need that is qualified or what qualifications do they need to have to ok the gas pipe. Thanks

If only it was that simple.

Water needs to be a min 750mm to the top of the pipe and inspected before you back fill.

Electric and gas are down about 450mm, and have to be 450mm apart I think, and also need inspected before back fill.

Doitall wrote
Electric and gas are down about 450mm, and have to be 450mm apart I think, and also need inspected before back fill.

Reminds me of watching Transco install a new gas supply pipe across a front garden, where a trench had already been dug, but not backfilled, to take a duct for electricity. They just lifted up the electricity duct and snuck their yellow poly pipe underneath!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back