Gas & Electric - Should I go on a variable or fixed

Not a problem, I am stuggling myself to get a handle on it.

The original advice at the start of all of this, was to stay put at the end of your contract and just let your supplier move you onto a variable. But it just seemed daft to pay so much more to my then supplier, on its variable or three times as much for its fixed deal. So I shopped around for a cheaper variable, which has proven much cheaper than I would paid.
who are you with if you dont mind me asking.

Sponsored Links
I've just tried to look at the Bristol Energy tariffs but could not find them

Our dual fule rate on EDF's "Deemed" tariff are as follws and variable

atm

Electricity unit rate: 20.77p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 23.30p per day

Gas unit rate: 4.187p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 26.12p per day

Sponsored Links
I used to work for EDF and unless their policy has changed they will be middle of the road, they wont be the cheapest but they wont be the most expensive either.

I've just tried to look at the Bristol Energy tariffs but could not find them

Our dual fule rate on EDF's "Deemed" tariff are as follws and variable

atm

Electricity unit rate: 20.77p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 23.30p per day

Gas unit rate: 4.187p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 26.12p per day

As I understand it, a variable tarrif varies constantly, any quote is an instantaineous one, but there tarrif is here....

https://bristol-web-live.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public

https://bristol-web-live.s3-eu-west...ublic/BE_Simply_Green_December22_Issue_27.pdf

Ouch - very high at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm on standard tariff with British Gas (gas and electric). When do price rises actually kick in?

I'm on standard tariff with British Gas (gas and electric). When do price rises actually kick in?
General reports says April. My plan with BG says price review due in June. Whether that's because my account was taken over from Peoples Energy going bust I don't know?

Guess you are presently on a fixed contract? The prices began ramping up months ago, but there will be a big revision of the cap in April.

Guess you are presently on a fixed contract? The prices began ramping up months ago, but there will be a big revision of the cap in April.
All my most recent quarterly bills are lower than previous years. It might be just the new boiler/programmer.

I've not considered looking at tariffs.

Looks like you fixed.
The variables rates are changed one every week or two depending on the price movements

We fixed 2 years at 30p/kWh day and I think 20p at night.
High but the rest are higher now.
It's only £30 to pull out if...

-------
Just noodling some numbers on EVs:

Unless pump fuel price goes up , it makes EVs look less attractive than was the case:

Errm
diesel 60mpg 4.54ltrs
60 miles £6.75
=~11p/mile

I saw Vicky BH trying a few EV's on 5th Gear, getting real-driving EV result about 2 miles/kWh ( quite a bit less than mfrs claim)
They found the rate you get varies a lot with the right foot.

night rate, 10p/mile.. Day rate 15p/mile. Eh?

So I looked at Leaseplan's figures: but their electricity rates are history. My night rate is more than their flat rate.
These don't allow for you getting much less miles per kWh than the mfrs claim, (or ageing batteries) either. Fake Newz?

upload_2022-1-16_12-24-29.png

If you have to charge from a charging point, this (also out of date and sponsored by Nissan Leaf)
https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-true-cost-of-using-public-charging-points/n21009

(scroll to the lower table) shows some charging costs up to 69p/kWhr. :eek:.

EVs are cheaper, but the gap's shrinking.
It depends what the gov does with fuel taxes overall. https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/fuel-duty
petrol/diesel 60p/litre now.

Somewhere in Scandinavia they had to increase the tax on EV charging to make up for lost fuel duty.

Wholesale Gas price rising from what it was but settled from the peak: predicted to be a wild ride
upload_2022-1-16_12-44-41.png

OIL - predicted to hit $200
upload_2022-1-16_12-47-27.png

Sponsored Links
Back