Gas Ferolli 40/60 starting and then shutting off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is -
The boiler starts and runs for around 1 minute and then shuts off again.
Then will not start again. It is a sealed system.

I have noticed that the pump upstairs beside the hot water cylinder does not start.

So what I did was bleed the radiator nearest the hot water cylinder.
I did this when the boiler was on and the pump then started and I was able to get heating however I did notice that the same radiator is constantly being filled with air and needed constant bleeding every few minutes. The pump is also making strange noises as if there is air in the pipes next to it and it is struggling to push the water around.
I also noticed that there was air that was in the pipes near the cylinder which I also bled out.

A friend suggested fitting an automatic air vent.
Will this solve my problem. The CH system has worked as is for the last 5 years, why would I need an AAV now?

Thanks,
Al

Sponsored Links
you say its a sealed system - so is there about 1 - 1.5bar pressure showing on the gauge?

I think you may have a pump problem, but need to check a few things first.

does hot water work?

do you have the where-with-all to carry out electrical tests?

Sponsored Links
No the hot water does not work.
There is only 1 control valve beside the HW cylinder.
Looks like it is used for both the CH and HW.

When I turn on the boiler using the electronic timer there is a seperate button for HW or CH but pressing either one will switch on the CH and HW.

have you bled the pump, large screw in centre of pump.

set pump to highest speed (3 on most). turn on HW, does pump now run

do you have the where-with-all to carry out electrical tests?

i take it it is a sigma,if so it could be a board fault,they are very poorly made and fall apart after a few years.failing that change the thermister/ntc.this one is gold in colour and different from the standard ferrolli thermisters.only do the above once you have proved the pump is u/s

Yes it is a sigma, I had the board and gas valve replaced a few months ago.

I bled the pump and it seems to be working fine but the radiator beside it keeps filling up with air.
And the next time I try and start the boiler again I have to bled again to start the pump.

I'm not sure how to carry out electrical tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back