Gas Fire & Chimney Cowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My brother has reciently moved house and in the main living room (a through lounge) there is fitted a glass fronted coal effect gas fire.
The fire works fine and it may not be a problem at all, but there is no cowl fitted to the top of the chimney stack.
The chimney stack itself is the type that was built without any chimney pots, so maybe this is why no cowl was fitted.
My question is, is it safe to use the fire as it is or will he need to get a cowl fitted?
Just thought to add this, the chimney is brick built (1930's) and is not using a liner.

Thanks.

pixey

Sponsored Links
Hi. My brother has reciently moved house and in the main living room (a through lounge) there is fitted a glass fronted coal effect gas fire.
The fire works fine and it may not be a problem at all, but there is no cowl fitted to the top of the chimney stack.
The chimney stack itself is the type that was built without any chimney pots, so maybe this is why no cowl was fitted.
My question is, is it safe to use the fire as it is or will he need to get a cowl fitted?
Just thought to add this, the chimney is brick built (1930's) and is not using a liner.

Thanks.

pixey

You don't necessarily NEED a terminal or cowl. BUT my advice is not to use the fire until t has been serviced and checked by an RGI with a fire ticket AND experience. You probably have no idea of the history of the installation, and they can be very unsafe. I am not trying to needlessly wory you, but most fitters on this forum will know what I am writing about and agree.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your replies, I thought that a terminal / cowl was required for safety reasons, I will pass your advise on and tell him to get the fire serviced, to be on the safe side.

pixey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back