Gas Fire Flue coming adrift from roof - Dodgy Building Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a small water stain on my upstairs ceiling so went into my attic of my Barratt built house to investigate.

I found that the metal strap across two rafters (which some dodgy builders used to support the flue from the gas fire in my living room when they constructed it) has come adrift on one side allowing the flue to slip down a bit.

As a result a gap has opened up between the flange at the top of the final metal part of of the flue and the roof tile. The flange is not held tightly to the roof by the nuts on the studs protruding from the roof tile.

This is where a small amount of water ( presumably came down the outdoor part of the flue) has dripped out to cause the staining on the ceiling.

The photo below is looking upwards to where the flange at the top of the flue ( It looks white in the photo due to the reflection from my camera's flash) meets the roof.

I'm now trying to figure out what I can use instead of that metal strap (which I suspect was taken off a pallet of bricks :evil: ) just to support the flue properly and also whether there should be a gasket between the flange at the top of the flue and the roof tile or whether I need to put some kind of heat resistant sealant there when the flue is pushed back up into position.

The studs that protrude from the roof tile are providing some support to the flue ( it's resting on the nuts ), but there's a gap of about 6mm.

Any advice would be very gratefully received ! Thanks . :confused:

Sponsored Links
I guess I'll just fix a bracket around the flue, pull it back up to where it was and hope for the best then....... :rolleyes:

You need a Gas Safe engineer - in the plumbing forum - to do the job :idea: . Owt else is illegal and probably dangerous . No joking around gas safety issues.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments.

I don't use the gas fire that this flue is attached to - I'm more concerned with preventing any further water ingress than anything else. I was also interested in knowing how the interface between the roof and flue should be installed - Certainly the support part of my flue's installation has been dodgy from the start and I would be very surprised if the same situation does not exist in the many properties identical to mine.

If I get the flue properly supported it would be a better situation than existed before the metal band that the dodgy builders installed came away....

Re-instating the flue to how it was is not a problem - My concern is really whether the arrangement between the roof and flue was correct in the first place when the house was built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back