Gas fires without MI's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just done a landlords certficate and there was a gas fire in the lounge but they didnt have any MI's for it. It was a wickes one. They said they hardly used it and i did a flue flow test which was fine

However, it was a coal effect fire, and I remember my teacher on the course saying that the coals needed to be placed exactly right in order for it to burn correctly. With this in mind and although it appeared to be burning correctly, I isolated it and said I would try and get the MI's and go back.

This seems a bit daft to me, but have I done the right thing?

Sponsored Links
As long as you have the customers permission yes you have.

If the customer refuses you must issue a warning notice stating what you have found and make a note on the cert that the customer refused to let you isolate the appliance and get them to sign to this effect.

If you find a gas leak then you must inform transco

Any gas appliance should not be serviced with out the manufacturers instructions.

It might be of help but you can purchase dvd,s from ebay that give full lists of gas appliance mi,s for various appliances but mainly boilers to be honest but will help you if you have a lap top in your van.

You take responibilty for that appliance once you have checked it and if your not happy then you have done the right thing.

Only you can make that call though.

fez2 said:

If the customer refuses you must issue a warning notice stating what you have found and make a note on the cert that the customer refused to let you isolate the appliance and get them to sign to this effect.

Any gas appliance should not be serviced with out the manufacturers instructions.

It might be of help but you can purchase dvd,s from ebay that give full lists of gas appliance mi,s for various appliances but mainly boilers to be honest but will help you if you have a lap top in your van.

What a load of rubbish........the thing isnt dangerous, it just doesnt have any MI for it at the time. You cant AR something for lacking a sheet of paper.

I dont have any instuctions for my car but its still safe to drive.

Sponsored Links
fez2 said:

I thought you had to issue a warning notice whether they allowed you to isolate or not? I didnt think we had an option but to issue one

fez2 said:

It wasnt a service, just a normal gas safety check, but I guess the same still applies doesnt it?

Actually, you wouldnt need the MI's when doing a landlords certificate if the appliance was a room sealed boiler would you? As long as it had the data plate in the boiler, that would tell you everything you'd need to know wouldnt it?

Refer to GSIUR 'Regulation 29' and appendix 3 guidance note 26 GASR
also 'Regulation 33' 1b and 1c.

So yes you do need MI on site

Surely you are unable to test as you can't remove coals without knowing how they go back and you can't remove fire for flue flow and catchment space check without removing the coals.

baxpoti said:
Refer to GSIUR 'Regulation 29' and appendix 3 guidance note 26 GASR
also 'Regulation 33' 1b and 1c.

So yes you do need MI on site

Even its just for a landlords certficate?

HarrogateGas said:
fez2 said:

Hear Hear!

Common sense and initiative play a part here.

If the MI's are not available and you have concerns, service the fire and leave it connected.

Not all coal effects need the coals placed as per the MI's.

A CO alarm fitted would indicate if poorly placed coals have caused a soot build up and a restriction in product clearence from the appliance.

David

What a load of rubbish........the thing isnt dangerous, it just doesnt have any MI for it at the time. You cant AR something for lacking a sheet of paper.

I dont have any instuctions for my car but its still safe to drive.

Reg 26 (9)
When a person performs work on a gas appliance he shall immediately thereafter examine
(a) the effectiveness of any flue
(b) the supply of combustion air
(c) its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;
(d) its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning

Did you work on the appliance?
If so did you carry out the above?
How did you/would you prove (d)?

newcomers said:
Just done a landlords certficate and there was a gas fire in the lounge but they didnt have any MI's for it. It was a wickes one. They said they hardly used it and i did a flue flow test which was fine

However, it was a coal effect fire, and I remember my teacher on the course saying that the coals needed to be placed exactly right in order for it to burn correctly. With this in mind and although it appeared to be burning correctly, I isolated it and said I would try and get the MI's and go back.

This seems a bit daft to me, but have I done the right thing?

If you had a set up like my comany you would have a lap top with every fire, boiler on a disk, what outfit do you work for.

your ignoring the point.

WE DONT ALL HAVE THEM! (and that was me shouting)

Cant engineers use common sense anymore?

David

Soggy_weetabix said:
Cant engineers use common sense anymore?

Unfortunately not David, has nobody told you its banned?.
Not too sure how you can tell clearances, flue requirements and anything specific to the appliance with no documents though.

Bob I would be impressed if you have a laptop with all fire instructions on, I have seen so many one offs made by small, local firms I can't imagine those being logged anywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back