Gas Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I run a boys brigade camp in the middle of nowhere for a week every summer. We have a small hut (literally a big garden shed) that we use as a kitchen.

We have used LPG gas ovens and hobs for cooking but are now planning on replacing these. We have the gas bottles outside and connect through the wall to our ovens and hob.

We plan on replacing the hobs and oven and upgrading the connectors to bayonett style hosing.

Is it legal for us to fit this ourselves? I know a hundred corgi guys will come on and say that we shouldn't do it ourselves and if it were my house I would agree. But we are in the middle of nowhere, have little money and are pretty compentent people who have been doing all the gas fitting on the site for the last 60 years!

This thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8090 seems to indicate that it is legal to do it ourselves I just need confirmation.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Wow! Doing unqualified gas work for 60 years when its visited by boys brigade whose parents have to trust you to do things properly!

Next, you will say that you are not CRB checked either!

I dont see how you have misinterpreted that sticky warning on this site. It has two provisos, that you are competent and that its your own home. You may think that you are competent but how do you know what you dont know? You must realise that its not your own home and I would have thought that you would realise the risk with kids entrusted into your care.

However, not all RGIs are cowboys and I would expect that you could find someone to do it free if you pay for the bits. After all the new cookers are going to cost a fair bit.

If no one from this forum offers, then try asking the boys to ask their parents if they know of anyone to help. ( I am too far away )

Tony

if your getting the cookers delivered you can sometimes get the delivery people to fit it for a reasonable price

I run a boys brigade camp in the middle of nowhere for a week every summer. We have a small hut (literally a big garden shed) that we use as a kitchen.

We have used LPG gas ovens and hobs for cooking but are now planning on replacing these. We have the gas bottles outside and connect through the wall to our ovens and hob.

We plan on replacing the hobs and oven and upgrading the connectors to bayonett style hosing.

Is it legal for us to fit this ourselves? I know a hundred corgi guys will come on and say that we shouldn't do it ourselves and if it were my house I would agree. But we are in the middle of nowhere, have little money and are pretty compentent people who have been doing all the gas fitting on the site for the last 60 years!

This thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8090 seems to indicate that it is legal to do it ourselves I just need confirmation.

Thanks,

Chris

sorry sir as an ex BB boy myself ( 72 coy dennistoun ) i have to agree with Agile (through gritted teeth!)
it does not sound like a big job,no massive pipe runs,some fittings,bayonets,backplates etc, so should not cost a lot.

you say you are in the middle of nowhere, but there will be a local RGI for the area, might even be ex BB or Scouts you never know.

please do not try installation yourself, there are too many factors to be dealt with including possibly ventilation, ecv siting et al

may your anchor hold brother

Sponsored Links
glasgowgas the OP is in Glasgow, get down there and get them done if you have LPG, i dont or i would have offered :LOL:

Kirkgas . and lanark is a million miles away get up and help glasgowgas :LOL:
Memmories memmories walking through Castlemilk on a friday night with my BB uniform with the sailors hat getting knicked of my head by my older brother and his mates , wishing we could get the new thunderbirds type others had .
19thB

...Is it legal for us to fit this ourselves? I know a hundred corgi guys will come on and say that we shouldn't do it ourselves and if it were my house I would agree. But we are in the middle of nowhere..

That would not be a quick arrival of emergency services when your diy goes up in smoke then. :rolleyes:

Plenty of people that are totally confident they can drive very well after 9 pints; they have been doing that for many years as well.
I believe it was one of the royals who lost her life due to somebody like that.
Lets hope the kids that have mistakenly been put in your care have better luck.

Memmories memmories walking through Castlemilk on a friday night with my BB uniform with the sailors hat getting knicked of my head by my older brother and his mates , wishing we could get the new thunderbirds type others had .
19thB

would that not have been the lifebouys.
ma da was in lifebouys then BB. still got his old pics n stuff!!!

plus i widnae walk through Castlmilk,it would be a full on sprint!!!!!!!!

Yer right, 9 years old forgot we did call it the lifebouys,

The Mulk was a quite place in the early 70`s there was only a couple of axings a day with the odd chibbing and that was just the wumen :LOL:

Yer right, 9 years old forgot we did call it the lifebouys,

The Mulk was a quite place in the early 70`s there was only a couple of axings a day with the odd chibbing and that was just the wumen :LOL:

milk delivered by the SAS, any cat with a tail was a visitor

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

19thB
Namsag i don't have LPG or i would have offered, i'm in coatbridge, only 5 miles or so from glasgow and i'm an ex BB, 1st Viewpark company, actually only stopped going to BB's when i started work, thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone, great grounding and values that i still hold dear to this day. PS and we used to go to posh camps, in Torquay, Rhyll, Isle of Man, Bridlington, not local ones !!

You jammy git we got a weekend in kirkcaldy in a manky old church on the high street . Luxury :LOL:

The installation should also have an annual gas safety check if being used by a group of boys. There's quite a lot to check on an LPG installation as you need to check condition of hoses and regulators as well as the appliances.

It's not the Gas Safe Register (no longer Corgi) guys saying you can't do it. it's the law. If there is an accident you are likely to be held criminally responsible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back