Gas flue - Replacing spinning ball thing on roof (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house was built in 1979 and has one of the spinning silver things on the top of the flue. I presume to keep birds away.

I presume a previous owner added it because no other house around here has one.

The flue is from an old gas fire which is no longer there.

The flue goes in the cavity of the wall.

The bearings seem to have gone in the spinning thing, so it makes an annoying drone on windy days which is amplified in one of the bedrooms which has the flue in the wall.

We are looking are at having solar panels fitted next month.

If like to be able to ask the guys nicely if they'd swap the annoying spinny thing out, and would like to have whatever they need ready.

What do I need to swap it with? Are they standard sizes? I'd rather keep it simple and not have the spinny thing. I presume I need to keep some sort of ventilation into it? Or could it just be sealed up now?

Sponsored Links
They helped with poor flue pull by spinning like a extractor drawing the air up the flue,
if no fire is fitted they could probably oil it,if a fire connected it will need testing.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Throw it away.
We want to throw it away, we don't like the look of it.

But I want to buy something to replace it. I would like to have the replacement thing ready, so I can just give it to them to replace when they are on the roof.

I really don't fancy going up to measure it

Are replacement things a standard size? And what replacement thing would I be looking for to replace it?

From what I can see, the neighbours all have something that looks like it is a made of tile, which makes like a mini roof over the hole.

Or do I just get them to remove it and tile over with a couple of the spare tiles?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The flue is from an old gas fire which is no longer there....... Or do I just get them to remove it and tile over with a couple of the spare tiles?

If it no longer serves a fire then no need for it to be there surely? Don't see what the issue is, have it all removed and reinstate the roof tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back