Gas hose to adapt a gas cooker (from France) in UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just brought back (from France) a gas cooker. The gas supply in my house comes with a hose that you need to screw on the cooker and the French cooker comes also with a screw.
I need an adaptor but can't find any in most big DIY store.
Should I call a plumber? Or is there anywhere I can find an adaptor?
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Hope it was cheap.

Is it new and suitable for natural gas.

You need an registered gas installer to install and commission the cooker, if, it is.

Its very odd but most screwed steel pipe fittings in France are to BSP dimensions!

One of my first thoughts would be is French gas to the same speciications as the UK's gas. It probably is but may not be.

Sponsored Links
Might not work, don't know whether the French run their gas appliances as the same pressure as we do, and there's the aforementioned issue of whether the gas is the same spec as well. You'd have been better off buying a UK-spec cooker for use in the UK

Yes it was working with a gas bottle.
It is not new but was kept in really good shape. We tried it in France and it was working.

Anyway, I have a plumber coming tomorrow.

I just wanted to know if an adaptor existed so I'll know if the plumber tells me to throw it away that he is not that good...

is this a wind up? you've got a french cooker that worked off of bottles that you want to connect to the gas in your house??

I assume the 'plumber' is gas safe registered with the relevant qualifications? Are you running on Lpg in Blighty?

plumber will conect it up then cap and charge you for it the plesaure
as bottled gas has diffrent injectors to one`s we use for nautral gas

Thanks for all your answers.

It was working on a gas bottle but it can also be plugged to natural gas if the hose is changed.

For the plumber coming tomorrow, I found him on Gas safe site. But I had a look at a lot of them and some seem dodgy... Can I ask him for a certificate when he comes? Or can I call gas safe to check?
And when he comes what does he need to check?

First thing he'll need is the MI's.

Did you check he is qualified for cookers.

He will need the conversion kit that came with the cooker also.

He will not produce certificates but the back of his gassafe card will show the apropriate qualification. He sould check for tightness (gas leaks) and also the gas rate as a minimum. But he WILL know.

why are you wasting your time? there's no way this can be safely connected up. Unless the same model cooker is fitted in the uk and you can get uk NG injectors. Even the french mains gas is different to ours so a standard conversion won't be available. You'll also need the instructions in English, this a legal requirement.

why are you wasting your time? there's no way this can be safely connected up. Unless the same model cooker is fitted in the uk and you can get uk NG injectors. Even the french mains gas is different to ours so a standard conversion won't be available. You'll also need the instructions in English, this a legal requirement.

SFAIK, the gas is the same natural gas G20 or propane G31. If you can get the correct jets from the manufacturer for the propane to NG conversion, I don't anticipate a problem. The manuals may be available on-line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back