Gas Into House From New Outside Meter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having garden and path dug up and new meter fitted to front of house. No say in the mater, and it'll be an eyesore. It's a split level house, so the meter, by the front door, is half way up the house.
They intend going through the wall (after the meter) into a room, then down through the floor of this room into the 'cellar'. This is just a room (my office) thats got no windows and is mostly underground. The boiler is in this room and they can put a T into a gas pipe that feeds the boiler.
My problem is... why can't they dig down (in fact they already have, to feed to meter from the road, under the garden) and just go straight through the wall into the cellar, instead of going through the upstairs room?
When I asked this I think he just said 'can't be done'.
So..is it possible to have the pipe from the outside gas meter going down about a foot into the ground, then into the house? If not, why not? Why is it possible to have all the gas pipes underground, except for from the meter into my house?
I think I've made it sound complicated, when it's simple!

Sponsored Links
My first question ( of many ) is that why is this apparently being done without your involvement? Are you the owner of the house? Did YOU ask for this gas supply?

Generally the owner calls the tune BUT there may be many reasons against what you would like.

If you can post several pictures then we could better understand what can and canot be done.

Tony

The whole street were given letters stating that important gas work was to be carried out, we may have our drives blocked, and gas supply interupted. Our inside pipework will have to be inspected. They seem to be renewing pipework from street to meter, and fitting new meters.
Came home from work one afternoon and gas worker asked where we would like new meter fitted, which side of the front door. No choice in the matter.
Dug up garden and path adjacent to house, and seem to be finished the outside work. Meter is in place but not connected. I expected them to be finished by now, but they seem to have been zapped away. Tools out, holes all over the street and gardens, but no sign of any workmen all afternoon.
I'll see if i can draw diagram.

from what you say, the room is underground with the garden up against the wall. If this is the case that wall will have some sort of waterproofing. If the pipe entered the room below ground level it would be impossible to maintain the integrety of the waterproofing

Sponsored Links
from what you say, the room is underground with the garden up against the wall. If this is the case that wall will have some sort of waterproofing. If the pipe entered the room below ground level it would be impossible to maintain the integrety of the waterproofing

That's exactly it. The wall is (probably) underground. I say probably because it's hard to tell exactly where the top of the cellar is, in relation to ground level. I post a diagram.

Can the pipe not enter the house underground, even only inches? How do other pipes enter the house if not underground? How does the current gas pipe enter the house? Under the garden, and below ground level. I'm sure.

I get the idea that the gas men are just looking for the quickest way. Why should I have a gas pipe enter front room through the wall, and disappear through the floor?

I'll post pic now...

'A' is the way they want to do it. The floor of the upper room is definitely above ground level, but obviously there are joists etc.

Does everyone who has a new meter fitted have to have the pipes going into a room?

gas pipes going through walls, have to, by regulation, go through a sleve in the wall. If this was done at position B in your sketch, you would have dampness/flooding problems in the cellar/sub surface room

Well, it's been done. They did it my way, going down outside, but didn't have to go far, the top of the pipe is flush with the ground, or will be when they fill in the hole. Let's hope they've done it properly and I don't get damp problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back