gas leak within tolerance???

On existing gas installations supplied through a U6/G4 gas meter, a permissible pressure loss of up to 4mbar over a 2min test period with all appliances connected and no smell of gas, is considered acceptable. If the test satisfies this criteria there is no requirement to isolate appliances and test the pipework only.

is the text book answer

On my last inspection I asked the inspector and he said he wouldn`t look too favourably on any installer who had left a drop on a landlord property

My view is find it and sort it .

Sponsored Links
I totally agree with you and your Inspector but I would apply that criteria to ANY property.

I dont think any of my customers would expect me to walk away from any gas leak in their homes.

Tony

arfurrrr said:
On my last inspection I asked the inspector and he said he wouldn`t look too favourably on any installer who had left a drop on a landlord property

So he would mark you down for following the word of the corgi book :rolleyes:

Look at it this way, you have a 4mb drop when you tested, it ain't gonna cure itself, in truth quite the opposite, so in a week, month whatevers time it fails there's a big leak which cause an explosion and someone gets hurt.

who they looking to lay the blaim on yep you

I work to zero permitted leak rate, with recent events you all would do well to think of the consequences, or do the time.

Sponsored Links
Have you ever had that one where the gas meter is outside, everyone can smell gas near it, always passes a drop test, sound as a whistle. Customer had had Transco twice, another gas fitter hadn't found it. I had concluded it must be the drains, then I sprayed ldf all over the meter and there it was coming out of a tiny hole in the side of the test nipple. It was of course covered and so plugged by the gas hose whenever anyone did a tightness test.

Transco just changed the whole meter.

I once found an in tollerance drop and hunted high and low for it. Finally found it. Pin hole in my gas hose. Now I always have a new still wrapped one on the van all the time.

had one that took me, and I kid you not, two hours to find

it was one on the in the ground meters and the test nipple bit had split in two

I only found it when i spreyed me hose to check it while it was still atached to the meter

wot a git that was

Paul Barker said:
I once found an in tollerance drop and hunted high and low for it. Finally found it. Pin hole in my gas hose. Now I always have a new still wrapped one on the van all the time.

I had that one twice, both on the same section of my ccn1. Never been caught out again though.

three jobs now with minute drops . gas spray is a waste of time unless its bellowing out. dont tell anyone but i found them in no time using something else. can anyone guess.

Just in case it helps anyone, I had a leaking meter regulator a month ago and another last Friday.

Since I always expect the leak to be in a joint the first one took me a little while to find !

Tony

fitz1 said:
three jobs now with minute drops . gas spray is a waste of time unless its bellowing out. dont tell anyone but i found them in no time using something else. can anyone guess.

Yes I use that m,ethod too it's the only fail safe method.

I bought a cheap electronic gas sniffer, what a load of crap, if you farted in it's face it wouldn't know.

I understand there was a quote in gas installer where a fitter lost his registration and actually did jail for "endangering a member of the public" using our preferred method. Just shows what a farce our industry is.

A transco man told me he saw an old hand search for a leak on lead pipe with a match, then he lit his blow torch off the flame coming out of the pipe and continued to solder it. Sticl that up yer pipe and smoke it.

I dont know if you are just having fun but when I have experimented ( under safe test conditions ) I have found that even a 4 mB leak is hardly enough to sustain a flame.

This is not surprising as a boiler pilot light is about 4 mB in five seconds!

I do have to say the spray leak detector is not very soapy and a soap solution is much more effective with small leaks. The spray just runs off too quickly and if the leak is a faster one it can just blow through the spray without bubbling and get missed.

Tony

If the afore mentioned method is used, It is always better to use safety matches :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

fitz1 said:

I found a 0.5 mbar leak with ldf.

I only looked for it because it was in my own house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back