Gas meter relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our gas meter currently sits in the corner of our living room just above floor level and it couldn't be in a more inconvenient place in the house. We're thinking about getting it moved to an external meter box.

First question is, do we need to get our gas supplier to move the meter, or can we just employ a plumber who's qualified to work with gas installations?

Secondly, the meter appears to be quite old - if we move the meter, is it likely that we'll have to replace it for a newer model at the same time, and if so, do we have to pay for a new meter, or are they paid for, and remain the property of our gas supplier?

Sponsored Links
The Meter, Regulator and upstream supply are all the property of the Gas Supplier/Transporter. Only the Gas Supplier/Transporter can alter the meter installation (at your expense though!) you will need to contact your gas supplier for a quotation - you will need deep pockets, it might be cheaper to build a cupboard around the meter where it is ;)

Received a quote last week from SGN, to move our meter along three metres and put it on the outside wall.

£781.00+VAT, and that is with me exposing the existinpipe in the driveway, and making good after.

Think I will leave it where it is.

Graham

Sponsored Links
My gas meter was located half way up a flight of stairs. It was going to be quite expensive to have it moved. however I smelled gas one day and reported it. Within 2 hours a guy came out and condemned the existing feed pipe ( LEAD !!! ) Half an hour later another chap turned up and moved the meter to a position under the stairs FOC. they also altered my internal piepwork to suit. All for the price of 2 cups of tea!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back