Gas or Electric Fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got round to redoing my living room and I'm a bit stumped as to fires and the regulations that go with them.

Some of the questions I'm about to ask probably sound really stupid but any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

I was originally going to buy a flueless gas fire but it seems like nobody wants anything to do with fitting them.

I think I'm just going to go for a cheapish focal point type fire......been looking at the Lilworth but not sure whether to go for gas or electric. I'm hoping that my questions below get a few answers that will help me make my mind up.

Ideally I would like a gas fire without the need of a hearth or surround etc. I don't even know if this can be done so I've listed a few questions below.

Do standard gas fires need a hearth if they are going to be standing on laminate flooring? Is the hearth simply there for objects falling from the fire or to stop the floor burning when the fire is on?

Would a gas fire need a 'back plate' if it was being fitted directly to a painted wall?

Do electric fires need a hearth and a 'back plate'?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info :)

Sponsored Links
The burner height on a gas fire must be a minimum height from the floor for wall mounted gas fires you cannot stand a gas fire directly on to the floor. and a hearth is required to mount a gas fire on the floor. the size is usually in the manufactures instructions.so an rgi could advise you what you need should you proceed with gas.

you would be better off with electric fire as this is only convected heat from a blower at the top normally as appose to an actual flame. the flames are only decorative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back