Gas Oven Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Valor Vienna gas cooker (c. 1990?) which does not give high heat in the oven.
The burner ignites as is expected although when the oven control is set to any high gas mark the burner does not fire up to give any significant heat output.
As it is, I cannot use the oven although in recent months it has been temperamental in that sometimes it fires up and at other times it does not.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I take it you mean, after intially lighting the oven, the flame normally starts out quite low then after a good few seconds, the burner roars into life and a much higher flame is seen.
If this is the case and you no longer get the high flame, then you have a problem with the Flame failure device.

This is a small Phial (elongated bubble of metal) that sits in the flame. When it is heated the oil in it expands and opens a valve, at this point you see the flame shoot up and remain high until the oven warms up significantly

Problems that could cause this

1) Blockage on the burner around where the phial sits, eg gravy, fat or a burnt oven chip sitting on the burner

2) if the flame is getting to the phial, then you need a new Flame failure device (FFD). Due to the age of the appliance, you may find this part is now obsolete. Most likely this part was made by a company called Diamond H who is no longer trading

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back