gas pipe connector for cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Im new here so please be kind!!

I have just moved from one Council Flat to Another and have A Stoves Panache Gas Cooker ( 3 years old ) which I was bought by my parents when I moved in my previous flat, The cooker itself is in tip top condition, being a bloke I only really use the Gas Rings and then not that often.

My Question is this

When I moved into the current council Flat I noticed that the Gas pipeon the wall has a cap or bung in the end of it, I asked a few gas Fitters one whom was doing a job for the Council if they would insert a Bayonet fitting to attach my cooker for me ( the cooker has a pipe already fitted from my previous place.

The Worker said no can do as the cooker hasnt got any Thermo Couplers on the burners and therefore cannot be installed in the flat!!, I was taken aback to be honest as I had it in my previous place for three years, now apparent I cant have it installed, it has various cut off safety devices such as the glass lid cuts the supply off when closed.

Im unemployed at this time and cannot afford a new cooker , this ones in great condition and cost my mum and dad £700 , any help apparently reading the regs if the cooker is in situ ( prior to the new regs coming in ) your ok but if you have moved into another place you aint

seems ridiculous to me, the fitter siad I would be ok in a house with it seems very unfair as an explosions an explosion at the end of the day, and I aint got any kids whom would possibly mess with the dials, or in the habit of leaving the lid up!!!

I did consider asking someone to fit a bayonet for me saying im getting a new cooker for Christmas but im to honest to lie, and I guess a fitter wouldn't fit a bayonet without seeing the cooker first???

any advice

Sponsored Links
Wayne,

There's a point to this legilslation but i see far worse circumvented every day, and if there was a bayonet every single person would just plug theres in and happy days, which is what the fitting is designed for,

My advice

1. Move the cooker, phone gas fitter ask them to put baynoet and backplate, in preperation for a new cooker being installed

2. Install cooker (I am assuming the old hose is still in use), and a chain or saftey bracket on the cooker

3. Connect cooker up and level using a level not your eye following the manual (Download), make sure min Clearences are followed from the manual (These are VERY important

4. You Should then call someone to test the cooker (they can't disconnect for a NCS)

But the Bayonet is a user connection in my opinion which means if you have one you can install to it as long as you cooker has a hose already attached (attaching the hose is a RGI job), and the hose is in good condition

I won't give advice on how to do any Gas job but your cooker, you've the only user its had, i think this is fair anyone else can shoot me down as they like

Nathan

seems ridiculous to me, the fitter siad I would be ok in a house with it seems very unfair as an explosions an explosion at the end of the day,

any advice

Try googling 'Ronan Point', then maybe look at cheap microwaves.

Come on more people die from careless driving than gas explosions they still sell mobile phones to drivers (i counted 25 today in slow moving traffic on there phone), yes its a good idea but its not policed they still sell ovens and hobs without FSDs, 1000's of people move from flats or houses to flats and just plug there old one back in.

You can't remove peoples stupidity but you have to draw a line somewhere, if he had a bayonet in the property he would never no, the only reason I ever get called to a gas cooker install is because the pipework needs work or it needs a hose all other connections and disconnections are customers done, unless they need paperwork

Sponsored Links
Stingray13";p="2220385 said:
seems ridiculous to me, the fitter siad I would be ok in a house with it seems very unfair as an explosions an explosion at the end of the day,

any advice

Come on more people die from careless driving than gas explosions

My point is an explosion is not an explosion. Eg. out of the two I'd sooner the house next door exploded rather than a flat on the floors below.

I asked a few gas Fitters one whom was doing a job for the Council if they would insert a Bayonet fitting to attach my cooker for me ( the cooker has a pipe already fitted from my previous place.

The Worker said no can do as the cooker hasnt got any Thermo Couplers on the burners and therefore cannot be installed in the flat!!,

any advice

For a start, this is a new regulation that only came in a couple of years ago. It only applies to flats and masonettes.

Do all the RGIs agree that the gas fitter was correct to refuse to fit a bayonet socket ( knowing that the tenant would then connect his own cooker! )?

Presumably if the fitter did NOT see a cooker there then he could on the assumption that a compliant cooker will be fitted.

Interesting technicality!

My brain currently is thinking that the fitter CANNOT connect the non compliant cooker but the tenant CAN !

Tony

Quote:- "anyone else can shoot me down as they like"

Ok, you're an idiot and giving advice like that proves it.

Quote:- "anyone else can shoot me down as they like"

Ok, you're an idiot and giving advice like that proves it.

Good for you mate, it must be nice sitting there in your perfect world, back in the real world its down to Interpretation and thats how i see the regulations, Bayonet is a USER Fitting means if he has one and the cooker has a good condition hose he can do what it is intended for, i have not told him to fit his own, everything is entirly above board and in my opinion to the letter of the law!

I have just been to a local plumbers shop they sold me the Fitting to attach to the wall ( after removing the plug ) sold me the tape to seal it ( on a little yellow reel ) and I have just been given an education as to install it, even after all that im going to get a GasSafe Person to put the Bayonet on the pipe for me ( looks like a simple turn it a few times by hand into the pipe, then gentle tighten with a spanner ) a gas engineer told me its simple , and to test with minutely diluted Wash up liquid, as the normal wash up stuff is too thick to notice a leak ( due to gas pressure being low anyways in the first instance.

I cant afford a cooker new mines good as new and I guess ill hide it till the works done, I only get £55 a week and cant waste money which I dont have thanks

I must stress that the advice I have had was from a gas engineer in the industry not on here, who even went out to his car and got some white stuff called Boss White which isnt for sale to the regular guy like me, he applied the tape for me and said what to look out for, thats from a registered person. I wish I had the cash to spend on a new cooker with these cut out devices, but I cant even afford to live never mind waste a perfectly good cooker , I agree with the chap above me, you have to be realistic.

I have just been to a local plumbers shop they sold me the Fitting to attach to the wall ( after removing the plug ) sold me the tape to seal it ( on a little yellow reel ) and I have just been given an education as to install it, even after all that im going to get a GasSafe Person to put the Bayonet on the pipe for me ( looks like a simple turn it a few times by hand into the pipe, then gentle tighten with a spanner ) a gas engineer told me its simple , and to test with minutely diluted Wash up liquid, as the normal wash up stuff is too thick to notice a leak ( due to gas pressure being low anyways in the first instance.

I cant afford a cooker new mines good as new and I guess ill hide it till the works done, I only get £55 a week and cant waste money which I dont have thanks

see the situation i was trying to avoid him doing the actual Gas work himself. Which ones the greater risk now? NO FSD on a cooker ring or DIY Gas Work?? i know which i think is more dangerous

I would say that its totally irresponsible for anyone to "educate" you how to fit a bayonet fitting!

Of course he will not have any insurance if you followed his advice and blew something up!

I must stress that im not doing this work myself I aint that stupid, ive bought the materials and and getting a gas safe chap to do it for me.

but if im honest im going to hide my cooker in the other room as im skint, as the guy said above better to have a cooker without the FSDs then fit a pipe yourself , he was in fact very correct in that and put his point across accurately.

and got some white stuff called Boss White which isnt for sale to the regular guy like merealistic.

:rolleyes:

You can find out where to buy yourself a gas fitting and gas PTFE, but have no idea that sheds like B&Q sell Boss White? Btw Boss White isn't white, it is a milky coffee kind of colour and stinks.

Wind up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back