Gas pipe from meter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive just had a gas main installed, and the meter is due to be installed soon, I want to save some cash by running the pipe myself and then getting a corgi in to connect it up and commission my boiler, which i will be hanging and plumbing myself except for the gas & flue.

Im undertaking major renovations and plan to have a large gas range oven with 2 ovens, grill and six burners, and also a gas fire. The boiler is a vailliant Ecotec plus 837 (28Kw).

The run will go meter -> fire -> oven -> boiler and the run from meter to boiler is 11.5 Meters (straight), the fire will need to be T'd off approx 1.4 meters along the feed, and will be a run of 4 meters. The cooker will be T'd off and have a feed of approx 50cm.

I understand i need to run 32mm pipe from the meter, so how is this best achieved? can i run 32mm yellow mdpe all the way from the meter to the boiler, and run the whole lot in a trench? (concrete floor) or will all the connections need to be accessible? The MDPE is attractive as it is cheaper than copper, and would need fewer connections, but can this be connected directly to the meter?

Any help appreciated, as im on a tight budget, and want to get as much as possible done on my own.

Sponsored Links
The first step in calculating gas pipe sizes is to determine the heat input to all of the appliances. You have managed to incorrectly size the boiler, even though the clue is in the model number.

Rather than ask for advice here, you would be better off paying a Corgi to come and work it out for you. You will need his or her agreement about your proposal in any event, should you wish this lot to ever be connected up and commissioned.

The first step in calculating gas pipe sizes is to determine the heat input to all of the appliances. You have managed to incorrectly size the boiler, even though the clue is in the model number.

Well thats what i thought, but http://www.vaillant.co.uk/Home/Prod...ation/produkt_vaillant/ecoTEC_plus_combi.html
says : * ecoTEC plus 837 - 12.0 - 28.0kW

But the technical PDF does say 37kw, which is what i originally thought.

Anyway, is it ok to run pipes in a trench under a concrete floor? I have some time off, and i have other services to lay, and i dont want to back fill the trench only to have to dig it out again. Am waiting for a recommended corgi to get back to me with a time to come and visit to discuss, but he has said it will be at least 2 weeks, and longer before he can do any work, so in the meantime i would like to get moving.

Sponsored Links
can i run 32mm yellow mdpe all the way from the meter to the boiler,
:eek:

Leave it to a Corgi mate FFS

Plastic is not to be used for gas. :!: :rolleyes:

Thats funny as the gas board used 25mm MDPE to run my service, ill give them a bell and tell them they don't know what they are doing shall I? ...

Thats funny as the gas board used 25mm MDPE to run my service, ill give them a bell and tell them they don't know what they are doing shall I? ...

The gas board (as you call it) CAN run the supply up to the meter in yellow plastic pipe as it is not accessible and is protected from damage. :D

From the meter MUST be in copper or iron.

Pay a Corgi you skinflint! ;)

The gas board (as you call it) CAN run the supply up to the meter in yellow plastic pipe as it is not accessible and is protected from damage. :D

From the meter MUST be in copper or iron.

Pay a Corgi you skinflint! ;)

Thanks thats much more helpful, and what i am asking. I know it's not 'the gas board' but thats easier to type than wales and west utilities! :) and probably better understood by the majority. Wales and west utilities pipe is only protected from damage by the 5 meter trench i dug in my garden, i was just wondering if i could do the same inside and use the mdpe pipe.

I don't see why i should pay someone to come and dig a trench in my house when i have to dig one anyway and can do it myself. It's not like you have to go on any courses to be able to do that! :)

Skinflint :D it all adds up, gas service, relocation of lecy, new water supply, rads, pipes, boiler, joists, the lit is never ending unlike my wallet. which is why i would like to save some money where possible.

it all adds up, gas service, relocation of lecy, new water supply, rads, pipes, boiler, joists,

Certainly does, worse when you add property damage, personal injury claims, legal representation etc.. which you risk by the methods suggested. If you've told this to your CORGI it might explain why he seems to have body swerved your enquiry. You can still dig the trench though.

it all adds up, gas service, relocation of lecy, new water supply, rads, pipes, boiler, joists,

Certainly does, worse when you add property damage, personal injury claims, legal representation etc.. which you risk by the methods suggested. If you've told this to your CORGI it might explain why he seems to have body swerved your enquiry. You can still dig the trench though.

No hes jut highly recommended and very busy. I cant see how hanging a boiler on a wall, digging some trenches and laying some pipe in it so he can connect everything is at all dangerous. I wasn't going to back fill the trenches or even connect the T's...

All i was asking was, could i use MDPE pipe, could it be connected directly to the meter, and can i bury gas pipe under my concrete floor, as i didn't want to dig trenches only to be told later that the pipe cant be run like that. Your a sensitive bunch.

So from the helpful and not so helpful comments so far, i have gleaned the following:

Pipes can be buried.
Pipe needs to be copper or iron.

the cooker i am looking at is:
http://www.cannongas.co.uk/macro/product.d2w/report?catref=7&prref=17&range=cpro

but does not say what KW rating it is. I am not actually going to install a gas fire at present, but would like to provide the provision for one while i am doing all the work.

Guess i will just dig the trenches, hang and connect the boiler, and let the corgi bloke run all the gas pipes.

Cheers.

All i was asking was, could i use MDPE pipe, could it be connected directly to the meter, and can i bury gas pipe under my concrete floor,

You weren't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Well done! Don't forget to relax with the comfy chair and pillows after digging that trench.

Well done! Don't forget to relax with the comfy chair and pillows after digging that trench.

No chance, have walls to build, walls to knock down, plumbing to do, almost 0 furniture ATM, otherwise it would get ruined.. shame we have to live here at the same time really :-/

So any min max depths for the trench? the one i dug outside was 18" deep IIRC.

RE runnng plastic and teeing off.. do you know how to fusion weld plastic, and what fittings to use , And how expensive they are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back