Gas pipe in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gas pipe in shreed. I need a gas pipe supply for boiler and range oven, I have had a plumber around and he has advised to run a 22mm copper pipe in a 32mm waste pipe in the ground with a 50mm screed on top. He has said I can do the trench to cut bill.

Will the pipe be ok in ground as it is protected by plastic pipe ?

Is 22mm pipe sufficent to supply boiler and range cooker ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on the boiler size , the cooker size , the length from the gas meter to the appliances , the ammount of bends .

The boiler is a 28kw and it is a range cooker. The total pipe being used it 12 meters with 3 bends.

I have had a plumber around and he has advised to run a 22mm copper pipe

He will have calculated it, surely? Why do you need to ask us - do you doubt your plumber, or is he not qualified to work with gas?

Sponsored Links
Gas pipe in screed. I need a gas pipe supply for boiler and range oven, I have had a plumber around Thanks
you need a Gas Safe registered person - is the plumber so qualified ;)

He is gas registered and I have checked his number. But then again a tenant could smell gas in one of my properties a while ago and I had it checked by a gas registered plumber and he said it was fine> Two days later later the tenant ring and could said she could still smell gas I get another gas registered plumber out and he said there was a leak.

Since then I always check.

The boiler is a 28kw and it is a range cooker. The total pipe being used it 12 meters with 3 bends.

That it is a range cooker is almost no help at all, the amount of gas it requires, IE the total possible KW output is what needs to be known. Saying "it's a range cooker" is like saying "it's a big boiler", it doesn't give the right information.

I would also doubt that there are only three bends on the run. It is technically possible to achieve this installation with only three bends, but it's highly unlikely a situation would arise where it is actually possible. You're not just counting the bends under the floor, but the entire installation from gas meter to outlets.

I'm also intrigued as to quite how your plumber is going to achieve running the installation in waste pipe. I see two problems - firstly, how does he expect to get support clips on the gas pipe if it's inside another pipe? Secondly, how is he going to cover the tee for the first appliance? He can't solder first then put a plastic tee over, because it just won't go, and he can't put the tee in first because it'll melt when he tries to solder.

had it checked by a gas registered plumber and he said it was fine
Been, there, done that!
Potential serial killers on the loose!

We smelt gas when we moved into our new place a few months back.
Called out P. H. Jones.
Engineer checks boiler (allegedly). Says nothing wrong. I'm at work, so OH calls me to tell me what he is saying. I say 'give him the phone.'

After telling him I think he's a totally incompetent forkwit, in as diplomatic a fashion as I can muster with my blood at boiling point, he actually does his job properly and finds a loose connection on a recently replaced part.

Hey presto. No more gas smell.

Edit Should have said, the replacement part had been fitted by P. H. Jones.

had it checked by a gas registered plumber and he said it was fine
Been, there, done that!
Potential serial killers on the loose!

I know, I could not smell gas but tenant was saying she had to leave windows open but she could really smell it bad in the morning downstairs as she had shut windows for night. When the gas engineer came out you could not smell and he said no leak, she called me back 2 days in the morning this time and said can you smell that, "yes i said" definite gas. Hence my questions on here.

Well they should be doing their gas checks thoroughly and should be able to find a leak if shows up on the tests

That it is a range cooker is almost no help at all, the amount of gas it requires, IE the total possible KW output is what needs to be known. Saying "it's a range cooker" is like saying "it's a big boiler", it doesn't give the right information.

I would also doubt that there are only three bends on the run. It is technically possible to achieve this installation with only three bends, but it's highly unlikely a situation would arise where it is actually possible. You're not just counting the bends under the floor, but the entire installation from gas meter to outlets.

I'm also intrigued as to quite how your plumber is going to achieve running the installation in waste pipe. I see two problems - firstly, how does he expect to get support clips on the gas pipe if it's inside another pipe? Secondly, how is he going to cover the tee for the first appliance? He can't solder first then put a plastic tee over, because it just won't go, and he can't put the tee in first because it'll melt when he tries to solder.

Spoke to gas engineer and he advised me he is going to cut the t place slide it over then wrap the waste pipe as well with denso tape.

I'm also intrigued as to quite how your plumber is going to achieve running the installation in waste pipe. I see two problems - firstly, how does he expect to get support clips on the gas pipe if it's inside another pipe? Secondly, how is he going to cover the tee for the first appliance? He can't solder first then put a plastic tee over, because it just won't go, and he can't put the tee in first because it'll melt when he tries to solder.[/quote]

Spoke to gas engineer and he advised me he is going to cut the t with slide it over then wrap the waste pipe as well with denso tape.[/quote
]

Why bother? Just wrap in denso

It's an odd way of doing it and still doesn't explain how he's going to get any support clips on it.

It'd be much quicker, easier and neater to use plastic-coated copper pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back