Gas pipe query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I recently had a plumber in to do some works on the house, and would like to query one of the jobs he has done.

The gas pipe to our halstead ace high boiler was originally a 15mm run which i must admit took a rather long route to go round half of the kitchen before it got to the boiler. So the plumber advised us to bypass most of this and install a 22mm gas pipe which would increase the flow of gas to the boiler which would help when running the bath etc. So with this advice i decided to go ahead with it.

Now the works are complete, i notice that the pipe from the main has indeed been upped to a 22mm, but about 2 feet before the pipe goes into the boiler, it steps down to a 15mm pipe.

Does anyone know if this defeats the purpose of the whole excersise of changing up to 22mm? To me this seems like you've still got the same restriction of the flow? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Stepping down the gas line won't make that much difference. and is required if your boiler calls for a 15mm connection. The RGI is correct that a 22mm line will be able to carry more gas, but unless it was undergassed previously (against regs) it won't make a difference to how the boiler operates.....as long as it was recieveing the correct amount of gas to burn efficiently in the first place. I would trust your RGI. And don't worry that the line has been reduced.....it's just to get onto your boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back