Gas Pipe routing from Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has recently had a new gas central heating system fitted & has moved his boiler to a different part of his house. I came home last night to find a copper gas pipe running from the gas meter box situated on the side of his house & 10 foot from my property, running up the outside of his house & then bent over and around the downpipe of his guttering then running along the back wall of his house & then in through the wall into his kitchen & presumably to his boiler. This pipe is an eyesore but I'm more worried about any safety implications - are there any rules governing how gas pipes run from a meter into a house, I've never seen one routed in this manner as they're usually run inside from my experience, is it safe like this ?, any expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I had a new boiler installed in the loft & the fitters asked if they could route the pipework up the outside of the property. I wasnt over the moon about it, but it was the best way.
Anyway after a few months when the pipe had gone dirty & I had forgotten about it you dont notice it.

As long as it's clipped correctly with closed clips and is earthed properly and sleeved through the wall, apart from being an eyesore it should be Ok.

New edict from corgi, and a sensible one, is that plastic pipe clips shouldn't be used outside, because they eventually disintegrate from the UV light. Maybe they all don't but many do.

If brass or copper clips are used, they all go brown after a while and aren't really obvious against red bricks.

Pipes outside are fine, though they do have to be protected if for example they're in a sideway where a car could hit them.

Sponsored Links
This pipe is an eyesore but I'm more worried about any safety implications

is the copper pipework wrapped if not it should be in a nice bright yellow tape now that will be a eyesore.
it sounds to me the system as been thrown in probabley one of those cheap £1500 grand fits done in a day jobs.

B.O.B DOLE said:

is the copper pipework wrapped if not it should be in a nice bright yellow tape now that will be a eyesore.
it sounds to me the system as been thrown in probabley one of those cheap £1500 grand fits done in a day jobs.

quote from the corgi bible (page 88 )

"stand off clips may be used without any other protection
our weather conditions do not require any further protection
unless there is the possibility of subjection to additional corrosive scources"

;)

kevplumb said:
B.O.B DOLE said:

quote from the corgi bible (page 88 )

"stand off clips may be used without any other protection
our weather conditions do not require any further protection
unless there is the possibility of subjection to additional corrosive scources"

i think you may be wrong there kev but im not 100per cent sure
according to what i have found is that all external gas pipework should be
protected from corrosion such as rain water, frost, and needs to be wrapped or sleeved or even painted.

;)

been a while since I last studied the man with fire book, but when I last read it it was only installations at risk of corrosion which required it

i think you may be wrong there kev but im not 100per cent sure
according to what i have found is that all external gas pipework should be
protected from corrosion such as rain water, frost, and needs to be wrapped or sleeved or even painted.

not what the dog says mate ;)

Even our acid rain is not considered to be a problem for external copper pipe. Sorry B.O.B. but the official instruction is that its OK.

To the original poster, you have not given us the full details, what the wall finished with? If its white pebble dash ask your neighbour to paint the pipe to match the wall colour.

The safety issue is actually that its safer to have gas pipe outside as any leak will naturally disperse safely.

Tony

painting it is a good way to hide the pipe but if you or he has kids that play in the area you and want to make sure they dont try to use it as a climbing frame you can wrap it in a grease tape called denso it is horrible stuff to work with and once the younguns touch it they wont go back for another go trouble is its green and manky looking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back