Gas Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
This is my first post, hope you can help.
We are currently having a new kitchen fitted in our 40+ year old house, this entails moving our gas cooker approximately two feet.
To keep within the law we contacted a Corgi Registered engineer to do the job. He arrived and examined the situation and told us that
ALL the existing (steel) pipe work which runs inside the cavity and through the house will have to be bypassed with copper pipe running outside the house. We had a new central heating boiler fitted 3 years ago, fitted by warmfront and also a new multipoint heater fitted during the same year by a local registered gas fitter. Neither mentioned any problems with the existing pipe work.
Can you enlighten me as to the correct legislation regarding this matter. At present the system has been tested for leaks and passed. If this is the case then every house on our road has the same problem.

Regards
Richard Green

Sponsored Links
when a gas pipe passes thro a wall, it must take the shortest route, be sleeved, and sealed one end.
it must only pass through a cavity wall, not along it? or have i misunderstood you!
regards
peter

No you haven't misunderstood me I don't think!
The pipe work has been in the cavity (along the cavity, not across) since 1962 and am wondering why all of a sudden it is now not suitable for purpose. And also why two Corgi registered gas fitters didn't pass any comment three years ago, when we had both multipoint water heater and central heating boiler fitted.
Regards
Richard

alot could go on in discussion on this. but basically a gas carrying pipe in a cavity is not a good thing.basically small leak on the pipe would build up in the cavity.anyway trying to get my head round this.your saying the gas pipe is in the cavity itself.just to make sure.as this could open a bit of a debate.

Sponsored Links
the gas fitter says the pipe is in the cavity. I think at the moment he is assuming the pipe is in the cavity. It could be that the steel gas pipe is between breeze block and plaster board, I will be having a closer look tomorrow. With regard to the danger, how can running a gas pipe in a cavity wall be dangerous. A cavity is well ventilated, where is the ignition source? and how does it leak? Like I said my system has been tested for leaks and has none.

If the pipe IS between plaster board and breeze block, is it legal.

Regards
Richard

Leak in cavity at some point in the future, twwaat with fag passing boom, side of house down possible dead people lying around causing flys and disease and smells not nice

the most common source of ignition from a build up of gas in a cavity is switching on a recessed light switch or socket, why your previuos gas engineers didnt comment on it is no great surprise, there are many gas engineers who simply dont do their job properly, it isnt a new reg by any means, but it looks as if you have someone in your house who knows what they are talking about, stick with them,

Thanks for the link, looks like mine is legal then.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN, seems as though you're slightly paranoid.
But your comments show that smoking can damage your health.
I was under the impression that Natural Gas was very light almost as light as Hydrogen, so one would assume that any leak would make it's way to the top of the building and out to the atmosphere.
A lot of fuss about nothing, I feel.

Regards
Richard

Thanks for the link, looks like mine is legal then.

I was under the impression that Natural Gas was very light almost as light as Hydrogen, so one would assume that any leak would make it's way to the top of the building and out to the atmosphere.

Regards
Richard

"Slightly" Paranoid, what a cheek, I will have you know I am "totally" Paranoid thank you very much, hmpff, slightly what a cheek...............

If natural gas was as light as hydrogen, I would have filled a large balloon with it and taken to the skies; much cheaper than what it costs to do with helium or hot air.

Anyway, is the existing installation ID, AR or NCS ?

This could be why your previous RGI's didn't bother mentioning it. Like many posts, where the OP doesn't see what they wanted to read, you've satisfied yourself that explosions can't occur. Try telling that to families of innocent passers by that have perished under so-caused collapsing walls.

Can't really add much to the above, gas pipes must take the shortest, most direct, route through a cavity wall and must be appropriately sleeved. That's the rules, end of.

Incidentally CORGI is no longer the registration scheme for gas installers, it is now Gas Safe and has been since April 2009.

Can't really add much to the above, gas pipes must take the shortest, most direct, route through a cavity wall and must be appropriately sleeved. That's the rules, end of.

Incidentally CORGI is no longer the registration scheme for gas installers, it is now Gas Safe and has been since April 2009.

Yes, come on WAKE UP

i say again
when a gas pipe passes thro a wall, it must take the shortest route, be sleeved, and sealed one end.
it must only pass through a cavity wall, not along it? or have i misunderstood you!
regards
peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back