gas pressure problems to my flat ??? need to solve this!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an 8 year old myson midas combi boiler...i live on the second floor/top flat...
my pilot light turns itself off randomly, british gas have tested the pressure at the meter and informed me that the diamiter of the pipe to my flat is too small and needs replacing ??? this is a grade 2 listed building and the pipe seems to go through the walls so is not possible to replace!
is there a boiler i could buy where this would not be a problem? or a pump? or do i go all electric? help

Sponsored Links
Although your gas pipe may well be to small it has got nothing to do with your pilot light going out.

Is that BG's diagnosis of your problem?

yes, they came out within one hour when i enquired about the pilot light they said its a commen problem, my 2 neighboors have slightly thicker pipes.
if i leave the heating on and it has reached the desired tempurature the combi will go into pause mode...when it decides to come back on it either fires up again or fails and turns off completely randomly, it also does this when i turn the hot water taps on, sometimes theres hot water sometimes it trys to re-ignite and fails so shuts down, sometimes it comes back on on its own!
i am in the habit of turning it on when i want a bath and turning it off afterwoods(at the boiler and the electric switch)...sometimes it takes me 5 or 6 attempts to ignite the pilot light

I am sorry to hear that you are having such problems.

It may help to explain, but not excuse, that fact the BG do not seem to want or perhaps be able to fix your boiler.

Your boiler is luckily a pretty rare model. As a consequence its not surprising that the average BG engineer has little experience of them and will try to pick other irrelevant aspects to try to avoid trying to fix it when in reality he has absolutely no idea what is the problem.

I have only been to a few of them and they are certainly not the worlds best design but I can fix them if I work my way through it on site.

It sounds as if you have two problems, the pilot going out which is simple to fix and another problem which may be more involved.

Others will disagree ( and they can be disagreeable on principle ! ) but in my view its unlikely that you will find anyone here to fix it for you over the internet when you are unable to do the technical tests which a boiler engineer would need.

All I can suggest is that you complain to BG that they advertise that they have great expertise and yet they are unable to fix your boiler.

If you really want to tease them then tell them that if their engineers cannot fix it then I will be able to and that you will be looking for my fee to be reimbursed!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
is there a possablity that this could be fixed for a reasonable price or is it a new boiler...boiler too old for service cover..british gas said £3500 for a new boiler though im not a mug...i hear illogical rubbish everyday!
im reluctant to buy a new boiler...would love to see old one working first!
anyone know a boiler man who would fix my boiler for money? no british gas freaks with hidden agendas!!!
would love to post reply with a successfull outcome...im in brighton

If the supply pipe is too small for your current combi, it'll certainly be too small for any replacement combi :cry:

so i go all electric then?? my next move is spending money on...
tank + immersion
3 night storage heaters
new CU
electric shower
all fitted and connected, how much ?(small flat!)

I still dont understand BG involvement with you.

Your boiler is fixable but only a very few engineers are very competent to work on it !

Tony

i recognize british gas's style...big bills, a big load of b*ll&cks, shareholders etc
any contacts for me? any ideas agile? i would love you to be right!

i have noticed?..i want to let my flat but need heating and hot water, gas or electric i'm not fussed!! its looking like electrics the way forward...
gas is expensive, carbon monoxide sensors and maintainence etc problem solving is a problem!
i can change a fuse myself!!!

Presume this must be the midas bf with no fan and square flue outside?

I know a Corgi reg engineer who MAY be able to fix.......leave your e.mail and I`ll ask . We`re in Sussex. I`m not corgi. can get to Btn.easily. Elec. +plumb can be priced if you want to convert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back