Gas PTFE tape vs.water PTFE tape

Sponsored Links
New someone like you would get it scatman was wondering what some of the others would come up with seeing as such a simple question as PTFE has become 4 pages

if you've got deep pockets try liquid Polytetrafluoroethylene (spell checker didn't like that).

Sponsored Links
New someone like you would get it scatman was wondering what some of the others would come up with seeing as such a simple question as PTFE has become 4 pages
Pffft that was an easy one nam, it's always in the ACS. Now give us some hard ones. :evil:

As i said sooey its basic but then again so is gas ptfe or normal and look where that led 2 eejits going through BS and bitching at each other.
Good job it was not a question like can i use a NG flex on a LPG cooker now that would keep them busy

namsag said:
Ok here is one that is just as basic which joint should not be done with PTFE gas or otherwise
There's nothing to say you can't use PTFE on a long screw ;)

Chrisr as a ACS instructor you should know on the lock nut side it is hemp and paste and that is an ACS question as you are moving nuts up and down the pipe and ptfe would not be sufficent for this

As i said sooey its basic but then again so is gas ptfe or normal and look where that led 2 eejits going through BS and **** at each other.

Eejit?

My question on P1 hasn't been answered;

Is there any difference between using gas PTFE taps and more turns of standard PTFE?

It seems no-one has an answer. I don't.

So Namsag posts a question to which he has an answer.His earlier statement;

normal ptfe is different from gas ptfe and something in the gas reacts with it and causes it to leak so gas grade ptfe should be used it has a slighty different make up so it does not react

was shown to be incorrect, by the eejit. So it seems he has learned something from the discussion.

Forget ptfe, use loctite 55, suitable for gas and water according to manufacturers.

Converted,, get in there my son :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You need to try and get me on Valiants now Dave. ;)

Rocol gas paste, another Korean meat balls in the gas industry.

;)

ONETAP you have proved nothing and whittled on and on with a personal agenda against softas . Its simple you cannot use normal ptfe on gas it MUST be ptfe designed for gas that can be used. No where does it say IF normal ptfe used then use lots of turns. Simple

ONETAP you have proved nothing and whittled on and on with a personal agenda against softas

I asked a simple question, because I'd like to know the answer.
Softus is an idiot and posted garbage.
I looked at a BS in the hope of finding the answer. It said the difference depended only on the thread form, not on the material used in the PTFE nor in the fluid in the pipe. I didn't know that.

I have proved that you were mistaken, but thanks for your opinion.

Its simple you cannot use normal ptfe on gas it MUST be ptfe designed for gas that can be used. No where does it say IF normal ptfe used then use lots of turns. Simple

The question is 'why?'.

You don't know and neither do I.

READ back i have told you why . First and most basic is in ACS /corgi it says GAS grade ptfe MUST be used they must have the actual reason .
Secondly in a previous life i got tech bulletins from BG`s highly regarded in house science department saying DONT USE it it reacts with the gas.
Third as a slightly experienced guy with around 45000 jobs under my belt i have lost count of the number of leaks i attended when NORMAL ptfe was used and joints slackened off after about a year and ****ed out gas.
Even the ptfe manufacturers web sites say it different.
But obviously you think it is ok and have used it in the past

perhaps these may help clear up some serious misunderstandings

standard ptfe tape
BS7786;1995 grade L
one wrap
satisfies BGC IM/16 BS6974/1989 and BS5392 TYPE C
could not be botherted to read the last couple of pages sorry.

namsag wrote

i have lost count of the number of leaks i attended when NORMAL ptfe was used and joints slackened off after about a year and p****d out gas.

Were these joints fitted by rgi's or diyers ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back