Gas Safety and Boiler Question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya everyone,

I'm totally new here, so pls accept my apologies if I say or do anything wrong.

I've been given the Affordable Warmth Government Grant and I'm about to get a Potterton Promax Combi HE A (33KW) installed in my bathroom by British Gas.

The problem I have is that their contractor has rang me and at short notice is insisting that as soon as they fit the boiler, they will have to cap the gas off because I need to have an airing cupboard/casing ready to fit instantly after their install. The guy said that it is a legal requirement as the boiler is in the bathroom. He said that I have 2 choices:-

1. Either have a case made according to the measurements he gave me, ready to go on install day which is on wednesday.

or

2. Let him cap it off and then pay a Gas-Safe Engineer to turn it back on after they have assessed the casing.

I suffer from depression and this is making me very stressed :cry: as I have never heard of such a thing and my previous boiler was fitted by Warm Front in the same location, whom never told me that it is a legal requirement to have an airing cupboard/casing.

Could someone (Gas-Safe registered) please clarify this for me? Is he right? Is it a legal requirement for the potterton boiler to be boxed in? Why is he not giving me some time to put on the case?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
He is talking about electrical zones inside the bathroom and is correct.

He can't commission an appliance that doesn't comply with the regulations.

He therefore has to cap the gas supply to the appliance until the deficiencies are remedied.

Thanks for clarifying that Dan.

Are you referring to the boilers internal electrical areas or the external wires that need to be covered?

The reason I ask is because the external area where the pipes and electric switch/fuse is located are already covered with a casing...just the boiler itself is not covered. Would this be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Boilers got to be covered, im sure you can put the box on afterwards and pay an engineer to commission, sure you have saved some cash over the years by getting two freebies

Thanks for confirming that bazdaman. I had one of the worst boilers fitted by warmfront, which was an ideal isar he24. Over 7yrs, it has broke approx 13-15 times! Yes i saved the cost of buying a boiler, but it's cost me more than the boiler itself to fix it.

I don't have a problem getting someone to come out to commision it, just that I had not heard to this before.

Thanks very much again though.

Actually, can you guys give any advice on making a case for the boiler? What sort of wood shall I use? Is there a way of making a case, so that it can quickly come apart so that the boiler can be serviced / repaired?

Proper wood that wont swell with moisture and poss magnetic catches as it will make servicing easier!

Doesn't the requirement for a case depend on the zone in which the boiler will be installed and the IP rating of the boiler?

The Promax Combi HE is rated IPX5D. According to the manufacturer's installation instructions:

If the boiler is fitted in a room containing a bath or shower and NOT FITTED with any optional integral timer or thermostat, it can be fitted in zone 2

No mention is made in the instructions of the need for encasing the boiler.

The OP should consult the manufacturers:

Technical Enquiries 0844 871 1555

@ D_Hailsham - I'm not sure mate...I'm confused. Forgive me for asking this as I'm sure you know what your talking about, but are you sure that info you've provided is for my boiler? The reason I ask is because the I believe their are quite a few variants, such as LPG, HEAT ONLY and mine is a Potterton Promax Combi HE PLUS A (33KW).
Can you do me a favour mate? Can you give me the link to the service/installation manual?

@ Dan - I've created a temporary, box to go over the boiler and then the installer called today - I feel they are being extremely awkward mate. The installer says that the casing MUST:-

1. Have a open/close door
2. Must be totally sealed, i.e. no gaps in woodwork

The casing I've built is simply a cube type box which I plan to hang using L-Brackets - no doors and there is a very tiny gap of about 1-2mm in the wooden box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back