Gas smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had a Gas combi boiler installed in a house recently, No one living there but there appears to be a smell of Gas in the cupboard that the boiler is in. Its pretty strong to.

I have got the installed back out to check it, he turned off the gas at source and put some sort of pressure tester on it, apparently there was no drop in pressure which means there is no leak.

He is saying its not gas however it smells like gas. There's a carbon monoxide detector near it which isn't detecting anything.

Any thoughts on this?

The boiler is a Wochester Jnr 28i if that helps, I know its vague but I'm guessing it has to be a problem with the boiler ?

Sponsored Links
Are you mad ?

There is a procedure to adopt if you suspect you can "smell gas",
In fact if you look at your gas meter there should be a sticker telling you what to do if you can "smell gas".
Take a look when you are turning off your gas supply.

If he/she has done a tightness test, this will test up to the boiler, if thats showing ok and your still smelling gas, then maybe something on the boiler could be leaking when it's running, is the smell there only when the boiler is running ?

as above advice as it could be gas safe to boiler but a leak when running may leak then for example if the test point on the gas valve is left open on commission.
You can call in gas safe to check installation if your not sure and its free :)
don't leave a gas leak!!!

Sponsored Links
Gas smell seems to be only there after its been running, it was switched off for a week (ran out of credit) and the smell appeared to dissappear.

If there is a problem inside the boiler do I need to contact the manufacturer about that ?

@gasandoilman who would I contact to get the installation checked ? I looked at the gas safe register site and don't see any information about this.

Thanks

Paul

Are you mad ?

There is a procedure to adopt if you suspect you can "smell gas",
In fact if you look at your gas meter there should be a sticker telling you what to do if you can "smell gas".
Take a look when you are turning off your gas supply.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Gas smell seems to be only there after its been running, it was switched off for a week (ran out of credit) and the smell appeared to dissappear.

If there is a problem inside the boiler do I need to contact the manufacturer about that ?

@gasandoilman who would I contact to get the installation checked ? I looked at the gas safe register site and don't see any information about this.

Thanks

Paul

Definitely sounds like an issue inside the boiler, if this is the case then as it's a new installation your best bet is probably to get the manufacturers out under warranty, it'll be free if it's a boiler fault

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back