Gas supply query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

I currently have our gas supply to our cooker running directly under the cooker under the floorboards.
I was only made aware of this after our cooker set our floorboards alight, and the fire crew came and ripped out the cooker/ floorboards to put out the smouldering mess.

Now the pipe was also damaged with an axe (dented) and a strip of the pipe will have to be replaced.

The insurance company will not re-route the pipe but I am wondering if there are any pointers to health and safety regulations that could possibly say that a pipe cannot go under the source of heat!

My feeling is that the pipe should be moved, but am unsure of how to proceed.

Any pointers or advice would be greatly welcome

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
No reason why it can't be run underneath flooring as long as it's installed correctly (pinned, not in close proximity to electric cables,no compression joints unless accessible etc etc). It is no different to a gas supply connected underneath a boiler say and not at any additional risk. If it bothers you that much pay to have the pipe rerouted. Why did the cooker catch fire? And don't forget, the gas was already connected to the cooker so the fact the gas line ran to it underneath would have made no difference.......

Hi thanks for the reply.

The cooker transfered heat to the floorboards that set them alight - under the lino.
so this was smoldering away an hour after the cooker was off.
we were advised that in the land of IF's - if the pipe was soldered, ths fire would have melted that and the kitchen would no longer be in the state its in.

Now I'm in the position of that pipe under the cooker is going to be repaired and not moved, its happened that the pipes been under heat stress before and we were lucky, why risk it again however minimal the risk of the 'same thing happening twice'

I am just wondering if there are any health and safety issues about repairing a pipe that itself in in a dangerous place?

hope this makes sence.
cheers,

Sponsored Links
What is the cooker make/model. I would suggest there is a serious problem with the cooker. Most cookers can sit directly over lino/thermoplastic tiles with no ill effect. The manufacturers usually state the floor covering may just soften a little. There is nothing wrong with soldered gas pipework installed under or next to a cooker.

Cookers don't transfer heat to floor boards and set them on fire.

The cooker make is a Servis mod no TG G60 INOX
I have no doubt it was the cooker at fault. as floor boards do not light themselfs...

so the short answer is, gas pipes can go anywhere as long as its installed correctly

For peace of mind I will have the pipe rerouted.

Thanks all for your comments.

doitall - im sure your experiance cookers don't transfer heat to floor boards and set them on fire.
In mine they do. . .

Not unless there's a serious fault they don't.

There are litterally millions of cookers in this country standing 0n floor boards, built in units etc.

If there was any risk the HSE would be down like a tonne of bricks

not wishing to be rude,but how about the grease in the oven melted and caught light and dripped flaming onto the boards and THEN the boards started smouldering,just a thought. :confused:

Beat me too it numpty . Only way i could see a cooker lighting boards and smouldering away for hours is lack of cleaning. or stupidly fitted lino sticking up into bottom of oven.
Cookers have to meet a minimum standard and are designed to keep the oven burners a minimum height from any combustable materials.
Never ever heard of this happening.

the only explanation given was a cause was lack of ventilation between the base and the floor- fault or no fault its condemned.
The cooker was clean, i checked for splashes causing the odd wiff of smoke when cooking. clean and dry.

cheers,

If it was perfectly clean and free of grease the only possible way i could see this happening is if a baking tray or similar was placed across the oven burner forcing the flames down or a leak on oven supply pipe catching light.

there is a lot more to this because this does not happen.

Of course it doesn't :rolleyes:

Can you imagine the insurance gezzers jumping on the band wagon "That'll be another £500 if ya got a cooker Mrs Mugg"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back