laying gas pipe under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as part of my kitchen refurb I need to run new gas pipe under floorboards from meter to cooker (currently it runs up the wall, across ceiling, then back down to cooker).

I am hoping to save money by lifting up floorboards and buying 22mm copper pipes and bends, and laying them under floorboard. I will then get a gas safe eng. to do all the connections + soldering/compression joints.

My joists are only 4"x2". Should the pipe run below joist or can I cutout 25mm x 25mm notches in the joists ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you're just running it to the cooker 15mm will do. How long is the run? You can put it underneath the joists if you want, notching the joists is also fine.

An RGI needs to be doing everything really, you can lift the boards and notch the joists.

I can think of one particular engineer on here that will no doubt have something to say!

Sponsored Links
And no joist at all when someone accidentally nails the gas pipe :eek: :rolleyes: and not much of the rest of the house

Thanks all; under the joist it is

the run is approx 4.5m; 2m then a bend, then another 2.5 metres.

Is there any need to support the pipe in anyway ? If so, how is the best way to proceed; add some wooden structs or just put some blocks under pipe ?

if i said use nail-on clips i bet you'd get about 50 more posts with different suggestions...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back