Gas supply to cooker

Since when do we rate gas meters and pipe sizes for anything other than the maximum flow of gas that could be asked for :rolleyes:

No-one has, have they ?

I was pointing out that with a great big boiler and an equally big range cooker, that even if you include some diversity, the meter may be too small.

Not aimed at your post DIA, but Agiles above mine. He's implying that as everything won't be on full hardly, one could get away with it.

Sponsored Links
Thats all right then Dave :cool:

I wouldn't add any more than 10% for diversity

I was saying that whilst we should rate the meter to match the load, if anyone were to connect a load which exceeded the meter rating there would be no sudden failure or even any noticeable effect for the user.

The reality of the situation is that anyone who has a big cooker at home knows that all rings are never used together on full.

In fact as any ring on full needs personal attention the others are almost certainly going to be simmering.

In fact its only when we have a party that more then three rings are ever used.

Tony

So would you still rate the meter and gas pipe work for maximum use then?

Sponsored Links
So would you still rate the meter and gas pipe work for maximum use then?

Depends on the occupancy and use.

Normally maximum less 10%.

Not many home owners buy a 5 ring range for show. The range could be duel fuel, some electric rings some gas, the ovens could be either or both, without the information you can only assume maximum.

The gas regulations require us to do worst case calculations and assume everything is on at maximum.

Of course that does not happen in reality.

Nor does a small reduction in operating pressure have any effect on most gas appliances.

Last Christmas I was trying to set up a boiler on a very cold holiday day. With everyone home with heating on the gas mains could only supply 15 mB out of the meter. Thats a reduction of about 25% on the rated pressure.

Tony

Not many home owners buy a 5 ring range for show.

Our 7 gas ring range is primarily for show most of the time!

Its only used seriously when we have a party! The two ovens are really good and with seven rings it enables two cooks to work at the same time, each supervising their own 3-4 pots.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back