Gas tumble dryers....any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone told me of natural gas tumble dryers lately, which I was surprised as its not a new thing! Sounds great to me.

If they seem so good why aren't they in every home instead of power hungry electric ones?

Sponsored Links
yes white knight is the most common name and they are very good. it is more the availabilty and ease of install that makes everyone go for electric (just plug in!)
the other thing is the shortage of qualified engineers as there is little call we won't spend £300 - 400 on training/assessments every 5 years for a couple of jobs in that time, it just isn't economically viable.

If they seem so good why aren't they in every home instead of power hungry electric ones?

The upfront cost is higher than an electric dryer. However they will dry a load in about 30 mins, assuming its spun at 1400rpm.
As the other guy alluded to not everyone is qualified to install gas tumble dryers. You need to look on the gas safe website and select that option. I have it and have maybe installed 4 in the last 8 years. One those was my own.

Is it a complicated task, or does Corgi just make it complicated for you by making new appliance rules. (money for old rope) ;)

Sponsored Links
They are the most common type in the US as far as I can see.

They are also the type used in launderettes. I used to have the commercial ACS for them.

The reason so few have the ACS for domestic ones is because so few people buy them. The ACS follows the customer demand!

Tony

One for the government then - in their "green" agenda :idea: Burn gas to produce electricity to power an electric device that does the same job as the wind that is used to turn the turbines on wind farms :rolleyes:

To OP
Far superior to electric dryer mine get used everyday through out the year very reliable and so much faster .
first 2 lasted 9 years a piece third one now into its 3rd year.
Need serviced prob every 2 years as flush is attracted around the burner and affects the ignition .

same as fitting a cooker and uses same fittings. Personally i would not worry about the guy not having laundry ticket to fit it

I'd have one tomorrow if i could figure out how to get a gas supply down to me garage where the current (electric) one is,t'would be very awkward.

To OP... Personally i would not worry about the guy not having laundry ticket to fit it

Working out of scope? Isn't that the sort of thing that gets you fined £xxxx and mentioned in the GI mag? My LPG has lapsed and I need to take a re-assess, but I wouldn't touch one until I'm all legal.

Back to tumble dryers. If you had a gas dryer, I would reckon it would only take a few years to break even vs an electric dryer. Even less if you are washing more than 4 loads a week. My dryer is the BG447. I notice on their website, they have a new gas dryer and marketing it as a low carbon device. ECO43A at £329.
http://www.crosslee.co.uk/english/whiteknight/gasdryers.html

To OP... Personally i would not worry about the guy not having laundry ticket to fit it

Working out of scope? Isn't that the sort of thing that gets you fined £xxxx and mentioned in the GI mag? My LPG has lapsed and I need to take a re-assess, but I wouldn't touch one until I'm all legal.

Back to tumble dryers. If you had a gas dryer, I would reckon it would only take a few years to break even vs an electric dryer. Even less if you are washing more than 4 loads a week. My dryer is the BG447. I notice on their website, they have a new gas dryer and marketing it as a low carbon device. ECO43A at £329.
http://www.crosslee.co.uk/english/whiteknight/gasdryers.html

Unless essential, using electricity is very wasteful for the environment. If the USA (the biggest waster) uses gas tumble dryers then there is no good reason why we can't do it.
New builds should have a gas point in utility rooms!
This is coming from someone essentially paid by electricity suppliers! :cry:

htgeng";p="1558530 said:

quote]

sums up some peoples advice,especially when they then rip into Tony for not being registered.

Pot,kettle,black springs to my mind.

Strangely enough the mods dont seem to interested in removing namsag inappropriate gas advice.

Well why dont you run to the mods and tell them or post it in the CC . Where the public dont see all the embarrassing basic questions that are asked by the pros.
If someone has fires and cookers then they should be more than capable to fit a dryer . A whole 15 minute exam that contains nothing extra to what is covered in other standard modules.
And yes i will believe you when you say you have never worked out of scope no matter how small a job it was. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for the agile comment it is far different to pretend to be registered than to be honest and and say no i dont have laundry but its a basic job well within my capabilities

Capable and legal are 2 different matters.

As for me working out of scope,You wouldn't even know the scopes I work in to know if I was out of them.

I can see why you think your fellow pros would have trouble fitting a drier after all its took 3 pages so far to explain in the CC how to fill in a basic landlord cert . So something that takes more than 2 brain cells maybe a bit to taxing :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back