Gas water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm toying with a few methods of having hot water. I was thinking about buying a brittony gas water heater. I'd like an idea of rough cost (not a quote!)

I would take the floor boards up ready and would also plumb cold and hot pipes ready.

I would need the following:

I would need the gas pipe run (8m) from the meter.
Boiler hanging and flue fitted and for it to be commissioned so I get the BC compliance certificate in case i sell the house.

What would this cost?

Sponsored Links
adwt2004 said:
I would need the gas pipe run (8m) from the meter.
Boiler hanging and flue fitted and for it to be commissioned so I get the BC compliance certificate in case i sell the house.

What would this cost?

Just a few pointers. The lads will want to know:

8m but is it direct? Does it require bends/elbows? This will have an effect on the amount of work required to install the pipework and the pipe sizing and as a result, the cost.

Flue, where will it terminate?

It will require a few elbows at the start and end but the main run of 8m or so is along my hall/living room out through a wall into my outhouse this is straight. The boiler flue will terminate straight out the outhouse wall.

electrics and water cold/hot will be there to connect to.

Why not go for the balanced flue Brittony water heater.....no electric required and much more reliable,will work throughout a powercut,electric fault and cheaper to buy as well. Apart from a diapragm or two during it life they usually give 20years+ of hassle free service.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a day's work - for a gaswallah £250 upwards, labour only.

Not as bad as i thought. And that would include it being commissioned and a certificate of compliance?

Yeah......the price is about right (without seeing it of course).

We would send two people and allow half a day. One to run the gas, the other to mount the appliance and connet but the price would be the same.

Cool, just worried it would be difficult to sell house later if i don't play the red tape game...

Are their flow rates as good as a combi's flow rate?

so based on that price would the cost to put a combi there for dhw only at present cost much more. I will install a rad so it can dump heat after a dhw request. so again, would be hanging boiler, connecting my water pipes which would be there, gas pipe and flue. And commission so i can get a bc compliance cert.

Pointless paying the extra for a combi to do the hotwater. it is more unreliable and has more installtion costs. The flow rate is proberbly as good a low output combi anyway.

The only thing that would make me put a combi in is if in the future i was planning on installing central heating to the property, then i may be a god idea.

I would still say the balanced flue multipoint is your best bet, no electrical certification needed and more reliable.

well this is the thing, i may want ch in future so might be an idea to future proof myself. It wouldn't be too hard to do the rads and pipework so was just trying to get an idea.

Have looked more into this and my outhouse would be an ideal location for a combi boiler. Only issue is that there is no where for the condensate connection. I live in a terraced house, an extended flue would be neccessary and so would a soakaway if i had to have a HE boiler. but i have clay ground which makes it difficult. I also used to have a back boiler in the past but this was removed. Would this qualify me for a non-condensing boiler? Would an installer be happy to do it?

adwt2004 said:
Have looked more into this and my outhouse would be an ideal location for a combi boiler. Only issue is that there is no where for the condensate connection. I live in a terraced house, an extended flue would be neccessary and so would a soakaway if i had to have a HE boiler. but i have clay ground which makes it difficult. I also used to have a back boiler in the past but this was removed. Would this qualify me for a non-condensing boiler? Would an installer be happy to do it?

Not a legitimate Installer

adwt2004 said:
That's a shame. I guess i have the goverment to thank for it.

Its ourselves to blame really. If we didnt cause as much emisions through are cars and the way we live there would be no need to try and cut our emisions.

The regs regarding condensing boilers are there for a very good reason, thats why its so important to stick to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back