Instant Gas water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello just casting about for some advice.

I am looking to replace my current hot water system (Direct Electric Immersion) :rolleyes:

I have gas warm air heating and have been quoted £1300 for installing a water heater on to this system. this would however still mean I have a hot water storage tank.

My preferred option is to fit a stand alone instant gas water heater (main multipoint or similar). I need some advice regarding where to install it, don't want to get bamboozled by installers :confused: and a bit of background will be useful.

Option 1
Fit heater in airing cupboard where hot water tank currently is.
Will vents in door be sufficient for ventilation of heater?

Option 2
Fit heater in Loft space above airing cupboard. If issue with cold space could lagging all pipes and potentially boxing in , in an insulated enclosure work?

All advice will be gratefully recieved. :D

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't put it in the loft. Long runs to hot taps and freezing hazards.
Could go in A/C but would be dependant on manufacturers flue limitations.
As for ventilation see MI's.
Why don't you like a cylinder to store your water?

more energy efficient to heat water as I need it. also hoping this will be a cheaper solution as i wont need to replace the hot water tank.

put a combi in rather than a water heater and just put a loop in the heating circuit. that way if you ever want to you can just add the radiators/pipes in the future, cost wise the 2 won't be that different.

Sponsored Links
more energy efficient to heat water as I need it. also hoping this will be a cheaper solution as i wont need to replace the hot water tank.

How can it be 'efficient' to spend £1300 extra just to heat your water a different way?

How many years would it take to pay that off in savings?

It was £1300 for the J&S water heater and new storage tank. I went for an instant gas water (second hand) and installed it myself then had it certified by a gas safe engineer.

sold the scrap tank and pipework for scrap and used this to offset the cost of the engineer.

Still looking at getting rid of the warm air system and replacing it with a radiator system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back