Gate motors Came Frog or FAAC 770N

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in process of choosing underground motors for my new iron gates 13ft wide, 6ft high. Any opinions between CAME Frog AE vs FAAC 770N, both 24V versions.

I think both are italian manufacturers. I am assuming parts are readily available for both in the UK. Anyone prefer one over the other or have experience in installing and maintaining them.

To me they both seem on par with each other, approx the same price and both have safety encoders built in.

Sponsored Links
The controller for the came motors is very nice with on screen menu, better suited to first time installers and diyers, but both Faac and came have good uk back up unlike some cheaper manufactures that use agents !

Why not be guided by, and supplied by, the people who will be installing and commissioning the gates?

The gate installers do all sorts. You can have motors from 500-3000 quid. It all on budget and they let you choose whatever configuration. So I feel came and faac are within my budget and so was just asking people experience with them and future maintenance, problems, parts, etc.

Sponsored Links
Any opinions between CAME Frog AE vs FAAC 770N, both 24V versions.
Which is better - neither of them. Both underground which is asking for trouble. Both have gearboxes which is asking for more trouble. Both are low cost bottom of the market types which are suitable for infrequent use only.

I think both are italian manufacturers.
All gate and intercom systems are made by the Italians.

If you want cheap rubbish, get underground 24V motors.
If you want decent equipment which will last for years, 230V hydraulic ram types are the only sensible option.

Under ground motors work but can be a real pain when there is a power cut or the motor fails. The release pin is not the easiest thing to find and operate,

They also prone to early failure when grit is washed into the under ground unit.

An alternative is a motorised wheel system, maybe a bit un-attractive but far easier and cheaper to maintain.

This is one

http://www.theelectricgateshop.co.uk/Category-123/electric-gate-wheel-drive-kits

there are others that are more compact

All gate and intercom systems are made by the Italians.

Untrue
Siedle intercom - german
Bell systems - English
Aiphone - Japanese

All I know is FAAC make automatic door mechanisms that are very reliable. I do agree though that underground motors sound like a bad idea. A hydraulic ram sounds better though my preferred option would be a single sliding gate. A sliding gate will never sag and never require adjustment as it runs on a rail. I was on my way out of the Yorkshire Wildlife Park the other day and noticed they have an ENORMOUS sliding gate at their entrance/exit.

Further on this I am thinking as my driveway has a slope I would probably get more water in the underground motors than usual.

Somebody mentioned articulated motors like the CAME Ferni. Anyone any experience of this motor? Seems well hidden from front of gate, although at back of gate you will see two big motors mounted onto the pillar but at least its not underground. Would anyone recommend?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back