Gate Post Near House?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently in the process of putting in some 6”x 6” 9’ gate posts to hang two 6’6” x 4 ½’ wide gates. This will be at the front of my property for side access. As I will be putting one of the posts right on the corner of the house flat up against the brickwork, I am slightly concerned that I may possibly disturb the structural integrity of house, as it is around 1890 build with no foundations as such, built mainly on bricks splaying out under ground level, does anyone have experience of this, or a similar situation, I am very reluctant to raw bolt the post to the brick work as the bricks are of quite soft construction, and would make a hell of a mess if I wanted to remove at a later stage, or would possibly even blow upon tightening. Any pointers much appreciated,

Regards - Ian

Sponsored Links
The other post is no problem as its a straight forward dig 2 1/2 ft deep hole and fill with concrete, its the post which is butting up to the house which I am concerned about as if i undermine something the concequences could be dia.......

Whatever spoil or bricks you remove just make sure you replace with plenty of concrete. However, there may still be flex even with posts that size.

What will the gates be made from?

Sponsored Links
Gateposts are treated timber. Someone told me about using blue cement, I'm guessing this is an extra tough blend. Would you think metal posts would be better for this application.... I only ask as you mention flex? Pretty gutted if I have to switch to metal, just paid £33 each for the posts!

Thanks - Ian

Sorry just read ur post properly.....gates are made from timber, 4x2 ledge and braced frame with t&g rebated into frame, so not that heavy really in the grand scheme of things

Timber gates means you should be ok with the 6" x 6" posts. Don't be afraid to dig a big hole and chuck PLENTY of concrete around the posts.

Any o.p.c will do. Make sure it is 6:1, well mixed and packed around the posts. Don't mix it overly dry as you want it to knit well, both to the post and the ground.

I have just noticed the gate posts have started to split all over the place. Does anyone think this will pose a problem or is this normal for 6x6 posts? or have I just been sold crap? I would like to know before I start the job tomorrow, any help much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back