Gate Valve to balance HW primary flow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I'm in the latter stages of installing my DIY "Y plan" CH/HW system (although i'm not doing the new boiler myself (i don't have a death wish)).

I've been installing an entirely conventional design. But yesterday I was in Wickes (I apologise for that) and looked through their How-to leaflet on installing CH systems.

Their diagram included a gate valve on the return from the HW heat exchanger, apparently to "balance" the flow when the mid-position valve is in the mid position. I've never come across this. Is it necessary? A good idea? A waste of a gate valve?

I'm worried i've missed a bit out!

thanks

slip

Sponsored Links
Not essential, but without balancing the bulk of the hot water flow will go to the hot water side when valve is in mid position. This is not a real problem if cylinder is high recovery and can heat up quickly, so minimising time in mid position. But a gate valve costs next to nothing (£2?) and is easy to fit, so why not give yourself the option of making adjustments if necessary?

Ok, i will fit one. Should it be before or after the cylinder? or doesn't it matter? after would be easier, with my pipe layout.

Sponsored Links
After is fine. If before, make sure you don't obstruct vent pipe route from boiler to expansion tank (if open system).

no, its a closed system (will be getting a system boiler). that's why i want to fit it after- the HW side of the mid pos valve goes to a automatic vent then to the cylinder, and not really room for a gate valve.

after it is. thanks all.

the HW side of the mid pos valve goes to a automatic vent then to the cylinder, and not really room for a gate valve.
But that's the flow pipe, isn't it? He wants to fit on return because there isn't room on flow.

Thanks chaps. all done now:-

chhw.jpg
[/img]

It's a brave man who posts a pic of his handiwork on this site... :rolleyes:

It's a brave man who posts a pic of his handiwork on this site...

I know. Suprised i haven't got flamed yet. it's been online for a couple of hours already.

Whilst it may not be perfect, it's a lot better than many examples i've seen that some "plumbers" have installed.

It's been posted 13 hours now and not a titter :!: Maybe it's a perfect installation? OK, it obviously needs insulation on the pipework, but since it's "work-in-progress" that doesn't count. Looks like you got away with it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back