GE MCB, alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wholesalers have come up empty, as has the box of dreams and google.

Anybody know where I can find two GE MCBs in >50A or, failing that which MCBs are the same but branded differently? I know the old Steeple range was GE rebadged but they seem just as hard to find.

We need to add a couple of boards where henleys aren't practical and the guy won't go for a board change, so he's gonna end up with 4 consumer units in his cupboard!

OOI one of the boards isn't even a GE board, it's just a dual row enclosure so not sure where you'd stand on 'type testing'
IMG_0160.JPG

Sponsored Links
Have you tried Recon Electrical chesterfield or SRS electrical in worksop?

Ive had old breakers from these before and they seem knowledgable aswell.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Would have to have a look see if that would match.

Not going above 40A would explain why I can't find any!

Don't know about the rating, have just looked at my photos again, and it's actually a Vynckier "Fix O Rail" which I understand is a GE brand/rebrand so I suppose is type tested.

We want to keep it GE if at all possible, just running out of time and options. Will post a photo that might make the problem more obvious

Wall on the right is an external wall with meter cabinet in it, board on the right is E7 left is 24/7.

Need to get another 5 or 6 circuits in both boards which are full, so will need another board each, customer won't let us change existing boards but will let us trim the back panel of the cupboard.

Obviously no access to break into the tails.

Any other suggestions?

IMG_0176.JPG

Is there enough room above the main switches to split the tails inside the boards with some insulated line taps or similar?

Will 40A MCBs be capable of supplying the loads on the two new boards?

If not, maybe some of the existing smaller loads can be moved to the new boards, and the new circuits fed from the old boards.

I wonder if extension boxes and kits are or were available to fit these boxes.

?

I wonder if extension boxes and kits are or were available to fit these boxes
Worth looking into I suppose. Struggling to find anybody that will even contemplate trying to get us any GE. CEF did have a go, or at least pretended to, but in the end said nope. Denmans said they couldn't get anything either (not just the old Series E, anything)

As to moving loads, the E7 board is going to be 4 x storage heaters, and the current board is full of SHs already, so nothing going on there in terms of swapping.

The 24/7 board has a bunch of lighting circuits and some other stuff on the non rcd side, and then the RCD side is all socket circuits, a cooker, hot tub and a shower. New circuits are 2 x socket radials and a lighting circuit. One socket circuit is for an as yet, unbuilt extension so unknown load but < 20A. Not much point swapping socket radials for radials.

Would possibly be ok on a 40A, but leaves literally no room for expansion - clearly the attitude the first guy took.

Was contemplating adding an RCD to the top row, doubling up some lighting circuits and trying to squeeze the new circuits in there. But an RCD + 3 circuits means I'd have to double up every lighting circuit, and it'd leave all lights on one RCD and all sockets on the other. terrible idea.

It just needs a nice big triple row 24/7 and dual row E7 but the guy isn't interested. He's not short of ££ but doesn't want to spend it on new boards

Thanks guys, finished this off this week. Turns out I didn't end up dealing with the GE board much. Managed to cut into the wall, find and break into the existing tails with Henleys.
IMG_0305.jpg
Found this beaut in the process too. Incoming Neutral was loose too, board was a storage heater all by itself, proper warm but seemingly no damage
IMG_0296.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back