Replacing downlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my downlights has failed and I believe it's one of those ones where you can't remove the bulb you just replace the whole unit. I can't find the exact same model as replacement (see first picture for the model), so I am going to need to replace it with some other brand probably.

However I am a little confused by what one to get. Picture 2 and 3 shows the wiring - can someone tell me what downlight I could buy that I would just be able to plug into the wire in picture 2? What would I even google find that? I am struggling with the terminology!

Or do I just need to buy any old downlight, remove the LED driver and wire directly into the white box in picture 3 (which I assume is the mains?). Appreciate my lack of knowledge about terminology here makes me seem like a complete electrics novice, and you'd be right, but I know how to safely re-wire plugs, light-switches, sockets etc. and have done so in the past taking the proper precautions.

As you can see from 2 and 3 the plasterboard ceiling needs repairing (had a small leak and plumber decided it was a good idea to yank it out and cause as much damage as possible) - I am gonna use a c-fix repair kit for that.

Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• downlight1.jpg
    downlight1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 58
  • downlight 2.jpg
    downlight 2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 47
  • downlight 3.jpg
    downlight 3.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
You it seems have an extra low voltage lamp, which may be required in some bathrooms, but in the main there is no longer any advantage, technically to use low voltage (that's 230 volt) you need an earth, even if not used, it could be picked up with a rental when the EICR is done, but who changes a bulb with the light switched on?

So likely converting to GU10 is the way to go, no transformers connects direct to mains.

You it seems have an extra low voltage lamp, which may be required in some bathrooms, but in the main there is no longer any advantage, technically to use low voltage (that's 230 volt) you need an earth, even if not used, it could be picked up with a rental when the EICR is done, but who changes a bulb with the light switched on?

So likely converting to GU10 is the way to go, no transformers connects direct to mains.
Thanks. I actually had an EICR done when I moved in and I don't think it picked up on this!

Is wiring it into the mains a relatively straight forward job (a la sockets/light switches) or should I really be getting an electrician in to do it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I actually had an EICR done when I moved in and I don't think it picked up on this!

Is wiring it into the mains a relatively straight forward job (a la sockets/light switches) or should I really be getting an electrician in to do it?

Not sure I agree with the comment above about the earth / cpc. There are Class 2 (don't need an earth) downlights on the market.

As for replacing the fitting - what you need to establish first the diameter of the hole in the ceiling and go from there. For lights in zone 2 they do need to be IP rated (I fit IP rated for all lights in bathrooms) and I would suggest that a fitting with a customer changeable GU10 LED bulb is the best way forward

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back