Generator Power For Garage. What Do I Need? Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I couldn't find a "Say Hello" part of the forum, so I'm going straight in with my questions :D

I have a garage about 50 yards from my flat with no elec power to it.

So I recently bought a generator to power tools, lighting etc:

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/info_SIP04739.html

I wanted to run the generator outside the garage (it's a bit noisy & the fumes won't do me much good) & the best place for soundproofing purposes is outside the rear of the garage. So what I was hoping to do was, run a cable from the 13amp socket on the generator, into a socket that I can attach on the exterior garage wall (so will have to be safe if it rained), then have the power run from this socket into the garage to something like a 2 gang plug socket so I can plug in a light/drill etc.

When I'm not working out there the gen will be put back in the garage, hence the sockets & not leaving wires & plugs dangling around when not in use.

I hope that all makes sense.

So, can this be done?

Sponsored Links
For such a small generator, a 4 way extension lead and a hole in the wall which the plug will pass through would be adequate.

If you are using more than one piece of equipment at any one time it is recommended that you earth one side of the generator winding and the chassis to create a 'neutral'. (you will need to check the configuration of the winding at the moment)
The reason being if you leave the output winding 'floating' you could have a fault on one piece of kit to one side of the winding and another to the other side of the winding. This could possibly give a shock of full output voltage.
A 30mA RCD will also be essential.

For such a small generator, a 4 way extension lead and a hole in the wall which the plug will pass through would be adequate.

True, thats probably the easiest way of doing it, but isn't this going to leave me with a hole the size of an cricket ball in the garage wall when the gen isn't in use?

Sponsored Links
if you use a std 13amp socket you are going to have to have a double ended 13amp plug lead, which isnt ideal, due to poss live pins.

Do NOT EVEN THINK OF MAKING A DOUBLE ENDED 13amp PLUG LEAD

They are extremely dangerous to have in the house.

because its a low output you would do better with a good battery drill and whatever other tools you require
what other tools are you planning on using keeping in mind your restricted to around 750w or 3amps at 230v

Can I just change the 16a plug on something like this from female to male to connect with the above?
Dear God.

Do NOT EVEN THINK OF MAKING A DOUBLE ENDED 13amp PLUG LEAD

You clearly have absolutely no idea why, do you.

You should be doing nothing with electricity except using it. And I'm not 100% sure you should even do that.

tut-tut sheddy,

You missed out here a bit, If ever there were a time for a large fonted-multicoloured extravaganza, this is it. Allow me---

Dear OP,

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAKE A LEAD WHICH HAS A PLUG FITTED AT EACH END. IT IS VERY DANGEROUS!!!

Did you know that a construction as you suggest is sometimes called a 'Widow Maker' by electricians, I wonder why?????? :evil:

Take a moment to think about the possibility of a fatal accident simply be handling this contraption incorrectly!!! Then never let the thought enter your head, ever again!

Did you know that a construction as you suggest is sometimes called a 'Widow Maker' by electricians, I wonder why?????? :evil:

To which the "qualified electrician" replied. "" then it will be safe for me to use it as I am not married ""

THAT IS A JOKE IN VERY POOR TASTE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back