Generic terminology

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There have been a couple of 'discusssions' recently re the use of the name of a specific product to mean umpty-dozen diferent products. It was even stated that that procuct was OK for use on potable water when it most certainly is not. It'd do the job in hand, yes, but not correctly.
Perhaps some just don't give a tom-tit and use Boss White, Hawk White etc because it's cheaper than the correct product!

Someone (sorry, can't remember who you are, but well said) stated that this is a DIY forum and that it should be stated EXACTLY what was meant. Quite right too.

The same ought to apply to abreviations, too:

PRV; Pressure Reducing Valve or Pressure Relief Valve?
AAV; Auto Air Vent or Air Admittance Valve?

I have a lot of respect for the 'pros' on here, giving up your time to help the lowly DIYer. Please, don't spoil the ethos of this forum by spouting generic terms likely to confuse the DIYer into buying or asking for the wrong thing.

Ask me for Boss White and you'll get a red and white tub full of gunk NOT suitable for potable water.

Sponsored Links
There have been a couple of 'discusssions' recently re the use of the name of a specific product to mean umpty-dozen diferent products. It was even stated that that procuct was OK for use on potable water when it most certainly is not. It'd do the job in hand, yes, but not correctly.
Perhaps some just don't give a tom-tit and use Boss White, Hawk White etc because it's cheaper than the correct product!

Someone (sorry, can't remember who you are, but well said) stated that this is a DIY forum and that it should be stated EXACTLY what was meant. Quite right too.

The same ought to apply to abreviations, too:

PRV; Pressure Reducing Valve or Pressure Relief Valve?
AAV; Auto Air Vent or Air Admittance Valve?

I have a lot of respect for the 'pros' on here, giving up your time to help the lowly DIYer. Please, don't spoil the ethos of this forum by spouting generic terms likely to confuse the DIYer into buying or asking for the wrong thing.

Ask me for Boss White and you'll get a red and white tub full of gunk NOT suitable for potable water.

Thanks for sharing that with us Charnwood, now, I must get the Polish Cleaner to hoover the great hall in the west wing with the dyson...............Oops sorry!!!

Plumbing is a trade & we have trade names & abreviations, get over it!!

And this is a forum for non-trade people to get (in your version of things, wrong) information.

Everybody and his wife knows a hoover is a vacuum cleaner, so not a good example, sunshine.
Telling the DIYer to get some Boss White is tantamount to telling the new boy to go to the stores for a length of fallopian tube.

Do you REALLY not get it?

"Fallopian tube, what size would you like 15 or 22mm?, we also have sky hooks, skirting board ladder, stripped paint, a glass hammer, a bubble for a spirit level, a long weight"

Have I missed any??

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Come on Nige, you must have loads from the 'olden days'!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andy

Sponsored Links
But by using trade names & abreviation, it encourages yer average hard of thinking DIYer to ask more questions & learn more. Just like sending the new apprentice for a 'long stand', he'll only fall for it once, ask questions & research before he's sent for something again. I know nothing about teaching or the correct way to pass on knowledge, but I've turned out 100s of good Plumbers & Heating Engineers, that have come to us with limited knowledge straight from Skool!!

So Charmless, I'm going to keep using generic names & adreviations son, like it or lump it!!

Qui docet discit? Not always, obviously.

Is it not beneficial to pass on the correct, concise information first time round sooner than ambiguities, Delta Terry 2?

Charnwood, I do agree with you to some degree, although the subject of any post would help to ID any abbreviations, eg ch systems with air problems, AAV would be recognised as auto air vent and not air ad valve.
What does cause confusion is "gravity hot water". That, in my book refers to older systems with 28mm pipework from the boiler to the cylinder and thermo syphoning and not the delivery of the hot water to the taps, as many people think.
Many posters have described their systems as "gravity" hot water when they have in fact got a fully pumped system.
Maybe there should be a glossary of terms?

Qui docet discit.....................Well most Skool teachers I know are fecking useless, that's why there's so many kids coming out of Skool as thick as mince mate & can't get jobs. All these trendy leftie Teachers don't care about our kids, they're just pulling a wage & moaning like feck about it!!

Another point Charmless; generic names are everywhere - in all walks of life.
Get over it!!!

What does cause confusion is "gravity hot water". That, in my book refers to older systems with 28mm pipework from the boiler to the cylinder and thermo syphoning and not the delivery of the hot water to the taps, as many people think.
Many posters have described their systems as "gravity" hot water when they have in fact got a fully pumped system.
Maybe there should be a glossary of terms?

Im glad thats not just me that gets annoyed by that!

Google is a great place to find the meaning of abbreviations if necessary. As for the use of "Hawk white" for potable, or is it "wholesome"? ;) , water, IMO there is no obvious need for Delta to change his habitual usage of this generic term since there are enough contributors on here who jump on it quite quickly for him and the op's benefit ;)

Google is a great place to find the meaning of abbreviations if necessary. As for the use of "Hawk white" for potable, or is it "wholesome"? ;) , water, IMO there is no obvious need for Delta to change his habitual usage of this generic term since there are enough contributors on here who jump on it quite quickly for him and the op's benefit ;)

Well said mate, most have F all else too do................. :LOL: :LOL:

Since DIYers will not even read the forum rules before posting I doubt they will look up words in a Glossary.

In any case the internet search will usually give the required information.

Most DIY confusion is caused by their plumbers who use the wrong terms and by reading things which they dont really understand.

Tony

Delta Terry 2?.....................Who's Terry???!!!.............LMFAO!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back