Generic terminology

Who's Terry?
I take it you've never seen a copy of Viz. ;)
Nothing personal.
Terryf.jpg

Sponsored Links
There have been a couple of 'discusssions' recently re the use of the name of a specific product to mean umpty-dozen diferent products. It was even stated that that procuct was OK for use on potable water when it most certainly is not. It'd do the job in hand, yes, but not correctly.
Perhaps some just don't give a tom-tit and use Boss White, Hawk White etc because it's cheaper than the correct product!

Someone (sorry, can't remember who you are, but well said) stated that this is a DIY forum and that it should be stated EXACTLY what was meant. Quite right too.

The same ought to apply to abreviations, too:

PRV; Pressure Reducing Valve or Pressure Relief Valve?
AAV; Auto Air Vent or Air Admittance Valve?

I have a lot of respect for the 'pros' on here, giving up your time to help the lowly DIYer. Please, don't spoil the ethos of this forum by spouting generic terms likely to confuse the DIYer into buying or asking for the wrong thing.

Ask me for Boss White and you'll get a red and white tub full of gunk NOT suitable for potable water.

Well said that man

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back