Genus 27 Mffi won't switch back on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been away for three days and on our return our Genus 27 mffi won't come back on. We turned it off at the switch (rightly or wrongly) so we've put that back on and pressed the On button on the boiler itself. But it won't fire up...in fact nothing, no noises or anything. Nor does it start if the hot water tap are turned on. There is no red light warning and the pressure level is fine. Everything was hunky-dory with it prior to us going away.

Any suggestions?

Pretty cold in Manchester tonight and our three kids are huddled around a single bar heater!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the on/off LED is not on - turn off the lights to see better.

On some of the Aristons the right hand circuit board becomes dislodged causing the on/off switch to become ineffective and the on LED difficult to see.

If you are competent check the right hand board in the front casing.

The normal green light is ON but the red fault light is not. In other words the unit looks like it's ok with no obvious fault....but no operation. If the red light was on it would answer my question because the manual tells me what that means. But because the normal lights are on and the electrics appear to be ok I'm stumped.

Managed to find a local engineer who has just visited. He says there is power to the main PCB but not the other parts and switches leading off from that...so his only thought is that the main board has gone.

How much should I expect to pay for a main board and fitting for an Ariston Genus 27 mffi?

Sponsored Links
pavementpizza said:
Managed to find a local engineer who has just visited. He says there is power to the main PCB but not the other parts and switches leading off from that...so his only thought is that the main board has gone.

How much should I expect to pay for a main board and fitting for an Ariston Genus 27 mffi?

I can never understand how any engineer can come and diagnose the fault free when the owner can then fit the part himself. As that must happen sometimes I can only assume that they charge a bit more.

In our local area of London we would charge a diagnostic fee of £84 and fit the PCB free and the part probably costs about £95. It should be somewhat cheaper labour charge in Manchester though.

Tony

Agile, it didn't take the engineer long to establish how little I knew of boilers...that was enough to re-assure him I couldn't do the work myself!

OK, he came this morning just to check the electrics and confirmed that he believed the PCB had gone. He quoted £300 to fit the two boards (he said they come as a pair) but said it perhaps wasn't worth it for a boiler of that age.

So here's the question: would you spend £300 to repair an 8 year old boiler that was working fine beforehand, or £1200 minimum on a new one (£1500 for a Worcester)?

Check if the pump is just stuck.
Assuming he hasn't disconnected anything, check if it has power.
If you can't, then procede assuming it has.
Turn power off
Remove the central pump screw , being ready to collect a dribble of water safely.
Put a flat screwdriver in the hole, and you should be able to engage and feel the shaft turning fairly freely. If not, try harder and see if you can free it, then replace screw and try the boiler again.

The boards do come separately, but there's sometimes a risk replacing only one in case the other one blew it. Both would come close to £300, parts alone...

Repair/replace? Toss up really, it should have several years in it yet, but might need the odd part.

The engineer did check the pump in the way you described.

Either way I managed to track down an old mate of mine who is Corgi registered and he's putting in a new boiler for £900.

phone BG and get them to replace the pcb at their cost. call out will be around £150 depending on location....down side is you may have to wait for a repair.

pavementpizza said:
The engineer did check the pump in the way you described.

Either way I managed to track down an old mate of mine who is Corgi registered and he's putting in a new boiler for £900.

great as long as its not another cheapo boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back